“Guidelines for End of Life Care” says medical decisions must?
- Be in best interest of pt
- Consensus between family and medical
- Duty of care - requires careful assessment by team
End of Life Care - How would you manage this confused/weak 80yo lady with bronchopneumonia?
- Assess autonomy: her decision? best interest?
- Give Tx: until consensus reached
- Assess: patient's medical condition properly
- Family meeting: discuss QoF, prognosis, Tx options, next of kin's wishes
End of Life Care - What happens if no consensus is reached?
- Call for short recess
- Ensure realistic expectations
- Consider pt's best interests
- Refer to guardianship tribunal