1. What are the modifications of the muscularis externa that is seen on the large intestine?
B. Teniae coli
2. What is the primary cell of the intestinal epithelium of the large intestine?
C. Columnar absorptive cell
3. The stomach chemically digests protein using pepsin and HCl. It physically churns the food using three layers of muscles, oblique muscle, circular muscle and ____.
D. longitudinal muscle
4. What are microvilli called that are seen in the small intestine?
E. Striated border
5. Which of the following is not a region of the small intestine?
6. What type of tissue lines most of the gastrointestinal tract?
A. Simple columnar epithelium
7. The Gastric glands of the stomach consist of mucous cells, chief cells, parietal cells and______________.
B. endocrine cells
8. The ________cells control intestinal microbial flora by secreting lysozyme to destroy the cell walls of bacteria.
A. paneth cells
9. The large intestines do not contain:
10. Which layer contains the lining epithelium?
11. The predominant epithelial cell of the small intestines is
C. Goblet cells
12. Goblet cells are responsible for all of the following except:
B. Stains gram positive
13. Which of the following is not related to the large intestine?
14. Which of the following cellular structures increase surface area of the interior surface of the small intestine to increase absorption of nutrients?
D. Plicae circulares
15. Which of the following organs has a mucosa lined by non-keratinized stratified squamous epithelium?
16. What do you call a tissue composed of a conglomeration of cells which are tightly packed together, yet which does not have a free surface? An example of such a tissue would be the parenchyma of the adrenal gland.
D. Epithelioid tissue
17. What is another term for the intestinal glands?
C. Crypts of Lieberkuhn
18. What type of epithelium is composed of flat cells?
19. What is the outer layer of the GI tract called when it is abutting another organ?
20. What type of epithelium is more than one layer thick?
21. All of the following statements about the inguinal canal are correct EXCEPT?
D. it is 5 inches long (4cm long)
22) All of the following statements about the spermatic cord are correct EXCEPT?
A) it contains the epididymis
23) All of the following statements about the stomach are correct EXCEPT?
D) it is supplied by branches of the superior mesenteric artery
24) All of the following arteries supply the stomach EXCEPT?
D) proper hepatic artery
25) All of the following statements about the first part of the duodenum are correct EXCEPT?
B) it is supplied by the inferior pancreatico-duodenal artery
26) Which of the following structures is NOT found in the free edge of the lesser omentum?
A) gastroduodenal artery
27) Which of the following is not useful in differentiating the large from the small intestines?
A) the presence of plica circularis
28) All of the following statements about the small intestine are correct EXCEPT?
C) the jejunum and ileum are equal in length
29) All of the following statements about the lymphatic drainage of the large intestine are correct EXCEPT?
C) all of the lymphatic drainage of the large intestines drains to the liver
30. What type of histological tissue is the appendix composed of?