- With a population of 4.6 million people it is considered a city-state, making it the smallest and most urbanized of all Southeast Asia.
- Only developed nation where ethnic Chinese constitute the majority of the population.
- Functions as an entrepot for regional maritime trade.
- Growth triangle
- The pervasive role of government in economic and social planning has been the key to this country’s success.
- Spatially fragmented consisting of a more dense population on the peninsula and sparse population on the islands.
- Evolved from an economy dependent on tine ore and rubber to one of the newly industrializing economies, whose leading exports are now manufactured products.
- New Economic Policy
- High middle income country.
- Pinang island dominant in electronics
- The largest country in Southeast Asia
- Lots of religious freedom0 ranging from Islam to Hindus to Protestants.
- Government implemented a no coercive volunteer family program promoting the two-child family to help with population numbers.
- Aimed at raising agricultural yields, adoption of hybrid rice seeds and fertilizers.
- Composed of 7000 islands, made must distinctive island because of its early colonization by Spain.
- Economic growth was tired to agriculture
- They have high unemployment and underemployment rates.
- Geographic heart of MSEA, distinctive because it was never a Western Colonial possession.
- Leader, king, possesses little politcal power but carries substatial moral influence.
- Economic growth associated with export oriented manufacturing has been almost totally resticted to the capital region and EMR of Bangkok.
- Salt water intrusion of freshwater; flood problems.
- Chinese cultural, social, and political influences have been significant.
- Northern part is the traditional core whereas the south is more commercial oriented.
- Doi moi- economic renovation
- Once a proud empire centered on the magnificent 12 century Hindu temple.
- Khmer Rouge which isolated the country from the outside world resulted in starvation and the loss of 2 mil people.
- One of three countries in the world hat account for 85% of unexploded land minds.
- Most resistant to the openness associated with globalization
- Economy slowly dies besides their resource base of timber, rice, gems, gold, tin, and petroleum.
- State-owned corporations control large slices of the economy
- Oil and natural gas is the highest-calue export.