What are the six Informative strategies?
- No Persuasion
- No Opinions
- No Changing of Minds
- No Valued Judgments
- Avoid the word "should"
- Careful on Language and Sentence Construction
To clarify a term or concept, vague or unknown
Documenting events - Who, what, where, when
Painting a mental picture; vivid language
Lots of details, deeper understanding, why/how, break down complex topic
How to Speech
Similarities and differences between two things
What all makes a good topic?
- Importance to speaker
- Interest to audience
- Worthy of listener's time
- Appropriateness of scope
- Appropriateness for oral delivery
What do you need to consider when choosing a topic?
- Personal Inventory
- Narrow Topic
- Consider Ethos
What are the purposes of informative writing?
- Give us info that we didn't previously know
- Update or Revise info about a familiar topic
What are some forms of research?
- Journal Articles
- Search Engines/Internet
What is agenda-setting?
Creating awareness of a topic previously ignored
What is GIL?
our library's online catalog
What is Galileo?
a collection of databases
A succinct statement of the central idea or clai made by the speech
The sentence that best describes the overall purpose of your speech
General Purpose Statement
A statement that focuses on the outcome of your speech by what you want to achieve, and for that reason it is audience-centered
Specific Purpose Statement
What are the six patterns for arrangement/organization of speeches?
- Categorial (Topical)
- Comparsion and Contrast
What are the four components of an introduction?
- Attention Getter
- Thesis Statement
- Link/Connection to Audience
- Preview Statement
What are the goals of an introduction?
- Gain attention and interest of audience
- Influence audience to view you and topic favorably
- Clarify purpose or thesis or speech
- Preview the development of speech
What are the components of a conclusion?
- Review Statement
- Restate Thesis
- Connect back to audience/ attention getter
What are the goals of a conclusion?
- Signal end is coming
- Summarize main ideas
- Make final appeal to audience
What are the different types of transitions?
- Internal Previews (One...Second)
- Internal Summaries (Now...then)
- Sign Posting (1st, 2nd, 3rd)
What are the four types of delivery?
What are the proper uses of the voice in an oral speech?
- Pitch (Up & Down)
- Rate (steady)
- Pauses (no speech pauses)
What are the proper uses of the body in an oral speech?
- Physical Appearance
- Facial Expression (eye contact)
What are the six arts of rhetoric?
- Cooperative Art
- People's Art
- Temporary Art
- Limited Art
- Fustrating Art
- Generative Art
What are the six finctions of Rhetoric?
- Rhetoric Umburdens
- Rhetoric Distracts
- Rhetoric Enlarges
- Rhetorc Names
- Rhetoric Empowers
- Rhetoric Elongates
What is relativism?
the disavowal of one absolute value system and a tolerance for multiple belief systems
What does pluralism emphasize?