First food and drug law by King John of England
Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act
Durham-Humphrey Ammendment: Provided rx legend, gave guidelines for rx & OTC drugs
- Kefauver-Harris Drug Ammendment provided 5 things:
- 1. Proper labeling
- 2. Drug manufacterer controls
- 3. Control of drug company advertising
- 4. Generic name drugs
- 5. Step-by-step new drug approval protocol.
- Comprehensive drug abuse, prevention, and control act- laws enacted for controlled substances.
- Required vets to be registered with DEA
- Prescribing/ dispensing
- Purchasing/ ordering
- Record keeping
- Schedules or divisions of drugs
Poison prevention and packaging act- required use of child-proof containers.