when a pedestrian makes eye contact, this indicates that...
they are ready to cross the street. Get ready to yield (slow down and be ready to stop.)
Intersections without "stop" or "yield" signs. What should you do?
yield to vehicle that arrives first or the vehicle to your right when you both arrive first.
On mountain road.
scene: two vehicles meet on a steep road where neither vehicles can pass. Who has the right of way?
The vehicle facing downhill must yield the right of way. It has more control and should back up and let the other vehicle move uphill.
regardless of posted speed limits, your speed should depend on:
- -the number and speed of other vehicles.
- -whether the road is wet, smooth, rough... etc.
- -bicyclists and pedestrians
- -whether it's rainy, foggy etc.
Maximum speed limits:
where sometimes posted?
maximum on a two-laned undivided highway?
when can you reduce speed?
heavy traffic or bad weather
if you choose to drive slower than other, what lane should you drive on?
never the number 1 lane. (go all the way to the right)
speed limit around children:
when driving 500 - 1000 feet near children you should?
take your speed to 25 mph, unless otherwise posted.
bus light rules:
yellow flashing lights?
red flashing lights?
- -slow down and prepare to stop.
- -MUST stop until all children are safely across the street and the lights stop flashing. (if bus is on the other side of a divided highway, you do not need to stop.)
what should you do?
- -if view is blocked, edge forward slowly until everything is visible.
Alley speed limit?
Near railroad tracks, what are the speed limits?
Solid yellow line?
Double solid lines?
Broken yellow lines?
- -no passing if solid yellow line if on your side
- -DO NOT pass
- -may pass if movement can be made safe
solid yellow lines indicate?
marks the center of a road using 2 way trafic
two solid yellow lines indicate?
can pass only if?
- -no passing
- -turning into or out a private road or driveway
solid white lines?
lanes going in the same direction
broken white lines
separate traffic lanes or roads going in the same direction
before changing lanes...?
signal and look in all your mirrors and check traffic. Left to right on shoulders.
Parking at colored curbs:
- -stop only long enough to pick up/drop off passengers. geting mail
- -park limited time
- -stop no longer than the time posted. (passengers usually stay in the vehicle.
- -no stopping any time
steering. what are these movements used for?:
- -typical turning maneuvers
- -parking, making sharp turns, correcting a skid.
- -backing up
driving in the fog?
- but if you have to... use low beam headlights
driving in darkness?
darkness and raining?
- -slowly. make sure you can stop within the distance of your headlights.
- -use low headlights
if you encounter a person who has full headlights...
look towards the right edge of your lane.
first sight of rain/drizzle etc. what should you do?
Turn on your windshield wipers, headlights, and defroster.
when to use headlights?
- cloudy, rainy, snowing/fogging.
- frosty morning.
- situation where you cannot see other vehicles.