Falls - Name the components of the Hx.
- Fall: precipitators, type (LOC, syncope, trip), after the fall
- Complications: psychological, injuries (frac, lacerations), immobilisation issues
- Illicit cause: ageing, medical, medications, environmental
- Social Hx: support, legals, OT
Falls - Causes by type.
- Age-related: muscle weakness, sensory, vision, reaction, hearing
- Medical: neuro, arthritis, hypotension, hypoglycemia
- Medications: anti-htn, sedatives, anti-psychotics, polypharmacy
- Environmental: stairs, lighting, pets
Falls - short term rehab.
- Treat cause!: e.g. r/v meds, BSL, eye surgery
- Physio: chest/mobility
- OT: home modifications/nursing home
- Family meeting: guardianship/will/ACD
Falls - long-term prevention.
- Prevent fractures: hip protectors, DEXA for osteoporosis, Vit D, exercise
- Team r/v: OT, physio, pharmacy, psychologist, social worker