What is an allergic reaction?
An exaggerated immune response to any substance.
What are two most common signs of anaphylaxis?
Wheezing and Urticaria.
What are 5 common allergens?
- 1. Insect bites and stings
- 2. Medications
- 3. Plants
- 4. Food
- 5. Chemicals
What insect can sting more then once?
Wasp, hornets and fire ants.
What do you remove a stinger with?
Stiff, sharp edge object, like a credit card.
Signs and symptoms of insect stings and bites
- Wheal, raised swollen, well defined area.
- Swelling, localized heat and redness
Whats the medical term for hives?
Six steps for using an auto-injector
- 1. Remove the safety cap
- 2. Place the tip of the auto-injector against the lateral part of the pt's thigh.
- 3. Push the injector firmly
- 4. Remove the injector
- 5. Record the time and dose.
- 6. Reassess and record vital signs
What causes wheezing in anaphylaxis?
Broncho spasms, chest tightening