What is the nature of alcohol?
- It is a psychoactive ingrediant of alcohol is ethyl alcohol ( the only alcohol that can be consumed)
- 3-6 beer
- 6-8 malt liqoure
- 9-14 table wine
- 20 fortified
- 35-50 hard liquore
what is the defenition of a proof value?
concentration of alcohol in beverage shown by 2X percentage concentration and it provides 7 calorie.
What are means of absorption of alcohol?
- 20% rapidly absorped from stomach
- 75% in upper small intestine
- The remaining is absorped in GI track
What are some factors associated with absorption?
- carbonation increase
- artificial sweetner increase
- food in stomach decrease absorption
- drink of high concentration decrease absorption
What are means of metabolism, excrition:
- transported via blood stream
- easily move through memberane
- main site of metabolism live
- 2-10% of injested not metabolized , crosses brain membrane , it effects neurotransmitter , if drinking is chronic , effects on neurotransmitter can be permanent.
- *When alcohol and tabbaco is introduced to developing brain it effect development of new brain cells.
What is blood alcohol concentration?
- Measure of intoxication
- Influanced by body weight/ percentage of body fat
What are metabolism of alcohol influanced by?
- genetic factor
- drinking factor
what are some effects of alcohol on health?
- It depends on individual/ circumestance and amount used
- BAC .03-.05 relaxation and release of inhibition
- At .1 major reduction in most sensory, motor functioning
- At .2 unable to function
- At .35 coma / death
What is hangover?
It is caused by toxins and alcohol breakdown, dehydration, hormones
What are some chronic effects of alcohol:
- Digestive ( Liver function, pancrease inflammation)
- Cardiovascular ( Cardivascular, moderate reduces risk of HD, Higher dose elevates BP, weaken heart muscle)
- Cancer ( mouth, throat, breast cancer)
- Brain Cancer ( alcoholics show brain damage, loss of gray/ white matter, blood flow, slows metabolic rate)
- mortality ( alcoholic lose about 15 years)
What are effects of alcohol during pregnancy:
- it crosses placenta and harm fetus ( causes fetal alcohol syndrome)
- leading cause of mental impairment
What is alcohol abuse? What is alcohol dependence?
- recurrent use having negative consequances.
- extensive problem, tolorance, withdrawls
What are signs of alcohol abuse?
- Drink alone
- use deliberatly
- feeling uncomfortable
- increase consumption
- consume heavily before risky situation
- getting drunk
- drink on unusual times
What is binge drinking?
pattern of alcohol that brings BAC to .08 within tow hours ( five drins in two hours within 30 days)