What are the 5 enviornmental factors for microbial growth?
- Oxygen level
- Availability of nutrients (N, P, S, Minerals )
What are the 4 types of symbiotic interactions? What do they mean?
- Mutualism: both partners benefit from specific association
- Synergism: Both partners benefit from non-specific association
- Amensalism: One partner is harmed by non-specific association
- Parasitism: One partner is harmed by specific association
3 Soil microbial mutualisms are __?__.
- Rhizosphere (root surface) colonized by bacteria (lose cell wall)
- Legumes (beans) - Rhizobium ( bacteria looses cell wall)
- Fungi (essential for plant growth) - endo/ecto
What are the 4 various areas of a marine enviornment + special considerations?
- Neuston: air-water interface (10 microns thick - most microbes)
- Euphotic: phototrophy is possible
- Aphotic: few organisms
- Benthos: Where water meets ocean floor and sediment - minerals available
- Special consideration = temp and pressure
What is Plankton?
passively floating organisms
What is Marine Snow?
Bacteria attached to small floating particles
How do you count organisms in marine enviornment?
- DNA content - fluorescent (count individually), sequence DNA in water sample
- Measure biomass - chemical assay of organic matter
- Carbon fixation - incoroporation of radiolabeled CO2
What is the ocean floor enviornment like?
- High pressure = barophilic organisms
- Carbon source is from detritous floating above
What do thermal vents provide?
- High temps
- Reduced minerals
What do microbes do in thier enviornments?
- Assimilate minerals
- Absorb energy (producers)
- At all levels of food web (produces, consumers, decomposers)