Cognitive mental relaxation techniques include:
- Guided imagery
What are some physical techniques used to reduce stress?
- Progressive relaxation
- these alter the body's physiology
What is the key to manage stress?
- Avoid unnecessary distress
- Turn off the stress response as early as you can ( decrease the chronic stress)
What are different definitions of relaxation?
- According to Oxford relaxation is being free from tension and anxiety
- According to Benson relaxation is freedom from anxiety & skeletal tension
- Olpin defines relaxation as the process of effectively moving the mind/body from the stress response to the relaxation response
What are the requirements of relaxation?
- Commitment and action
- Purpose to directly activate the parasympathetic nervous system
What activities don't count as relaxation?
- Watching TV
- Reading a book
What are the points to keep in mind when experimenting with new relaxation methods?
- Not every relaxation technique works for everyone
- Try each method several times
- Regular practice, regular practice of relaxation exercises produce profound and noticeable results.
What are the benefits associated with relaxation?
- Reduced heart rate
- Reduced blood pressure
- Slow breathing
- Reduced need for oxygen
- Increased blood flow to muscles
- Reduced muscle tension
- Fewer illness symptoms
- Fewer emotional responses
- More engery
- More efficient
- Better concentration
- Better being able to handle problems
What are sensations associated with relaxation?
What are the benefits associated with taking power naps?
- Increase in energy
- Increase in ability to focus
- General feelings of rejuvenation
How does power nap help relaxing?
- The position of the body
- Redistributing the flow of blood to upper parts of the body.
What is the main purpose of relaxation?
It is to activate parasympetatic nervous system.
What does breathing represent?
Breathing is an important point of contact between mind and body and respiration occupies unique interaction between the voluntary and involuntary nervous system.
What is a breath rate of an adult?
12-16 breath per min
What are the two methods of breathing?
- Abdominal breathing ( diaphragmatic breathing)
- Chest breathing (thoracic breathing) these people have a higher respiration rate.
What is the difference between Diaphragmatic and thoracic breathing?
- in diaphragmatic breathing the abdomin and diaphragm are used , this is the deeper breathing and activates the parasympathetic NS.
- Thoracic breathing is the chest breathing which is the shallow breathing and occurs during stress response.
What is inbreath?
Increased volume in the chest produces a decrease in the air pressure in the lungs allowing for the air to flow into the lungs.
What is one of the most vital healing techniques as a treatment for respiratory disease?
What are the benefits of using breathing as relaxation techniques?
- Allows mind and body to slow down
- Energized the body
- Developes hormony
- Sends messages to the nervous system that there is no threat, return to homeostasis
What are different types of breathing exercises?
- Simple diaphragmic
- Reduced respiration ( reduce breathing 6,7 per min)
- Restful breathing ( when preparing for something)
- Breath counting ( breath normally)
- Alternating nostril( right nostril is energy, left nostiral is calmness)
- Full breathing
- Visualization breathing (combines full breathing with visualization)
- Command breathing (used to bring mind to a state of sacred silence) but it starts with a guidance
- Ujjayi breathing (one of the most important components of yoga and focusing to breath through each pose)
- Breathing while stretching ( targets whole body tension, diverting attention from anxiety related physiological sensations toward feeling of relaxation and calmness through breathing)
What is autogenics:
It is self-directed relaxation using suggestions to create feelings such as warmth and heaviness in the body.
What is the difference between hypnosis and autogenics?
In hypnosis suggestion is any statement that the mind believes is true, accurate or real. In autogenics suggestion is self-directed
What is hypnosis used for?
- It has been used as means for changing how people think
- Also as way of helping people change behavior
What is autogenic training:
It is a method of reducing stress response.
What does the term vasodialation mean?
Increase in the diameter
What is one of the requirements to do autogenics?
What are benefits associated with autogenics?
- It reduces heart rate
- Reduction in blood pressure
- Reduction in tension
- Reduction in respiratory rate
- Reduction in migraine
- Reduction of insomnia
- Helping with post trumatic stress disorder
What is yoga?
It is a course of exercises and postures intended to promote control of the body and mind and to attain physical and spiritual well being.
What is the meaning of yoga?
To join or yoke together
Where is the origin of yoga?
It is believed to have originated over 5000 years ago in india.
What is the traditional approach to hatha yoga?
It is classical hatha yoga, it is called classical because it has not been adopted in any way.
What is hatha yoga?
It is effective for inducing a state of energized relaxation. It consists of regulating the mind and body through 14 breathing exercises (pranayamas) and poses (asanas)
What are different forms of yoga sutras?
- Yama: restraint from violance
- Niyama: observance contenment and tolerance, study
- Asana: physical exercise
- Pranayama: breathing techniques
- Pratyahra: prepration for meditation
- Dharana: concentration
- Dyhana: meditation
- Samadhi: absorption, realizing the essential nature of self
What sutras does hatha yoga focus on?
What are different styles of yoga?
What are benefits of yoga?
- Increase mental and physical health
- Treatment for fatigue and loss of sleep
- Increase health of the unconscious mind
- Decrease disturbing thoughts and feelings
- Help address negative memories
- Help deal with stress
What does the yoga postures work on?
What diease symptoms does yoga allivates ?
- Chronic fatigue
- Pain management
- Weight management