Tuina can be applied in all the departments including....
- Internal Medicine
- 5 Sense organs disorders
FUNCTIONS OF MESSAGE
- Regulate Yin and Yang
- Regulatefunction of meridians and collaterals Qi and Blood and Zang Fu
- Recovery function of tendons bone and joints
- Tonifying or reducing
- Stimulation of acupuncture point
attention shoud be paid to the following points:
Ask patient if they have......
- Cancer / Abscess
- Haemorrhage condition
- Pregnant / Menstruating (avoid ab n lumbosac)
- Tired / Hungry (No tuina to avoid fainting)
- High fever, Heart disease
- Joint dislocation and fracture
- Dermatitis, Eczma, tinea, rash
- Mental disease, cerebral anaemia
- Venous embolism
- Menstrual period or stone in the organs
PREVENTION AND MANAGEMENT OF ADVERSE REACTION
For Hungry patient, the manupulation should be....
- Light and Soft
- Reduce the amplitued
- If faint occurs, stop, press the PC 6 (thumb), cup of hot water or moxibustion on GV20 or CV6.
- It is not advisable to offer massage for hungry patient.
PREVENTION AND MANAGEMENT OF ADVERSE REACTION
Patients with lumbosacral, shoulder and back pain......
- Pain worsen (too strong manipulation / unskilled)
- Other Materia Medica for activating the blood and resolving the stases can be used in conjuction with the Tuina treatments.
- Light and Soft (as much as patient can bear)
PUSHING MANIPULATION (TUI FA)
Palm and thumb radial border with their thumb abducted at a right angle (Palm pushing).
Major thenar eminence, finger, palm, elbow, finger joints (knuckles)
- Apply all area, meridians and point over the body
- Gastrointestinal conditions
- Headache, dizziness, insomnia, hypertension, stagnation of Qi
- Rhinorrhoea, facial paralysis, tinnitus, headache
GRASPING MANIPULATION (NA FA)
Symmetrically and slowly lifting and squeezing the prescribed part.
Holding and twisting, foulage kneading and pinching it with the thumb and index finger and middle finger or with fiver fingers.
Three / Five finger grasping
- Cord soft tissues such as muscle tendon of the neck, shoulder, back, lateral abdomen, Limbs
- Inducing resuscitation and restoring consciousness and relieving exterior, relaxing muscle and tendon to promote blood circulation.
PRESSING MANIPULATION (AN FA)
Pressing the prescribed region continuously with finger-tip (thumb, middle, knuckle), palm, palm-root, or tip of elbow, fm light-heavy, shallow-deep.
- Tranquilising the mind
- Relieve spasm and pain
- Relaxing muscle and tendon
- Promote Qi and Blood cierculation
- Strengthen tendon and muscle
- Treat headace, insomnia, epigastric pain, arthritis pain, ache and pain of the limbs.
RUBBING MANIPULATION (MO FA)
Circulare motion with the fingers, palm / palmar side (fingers close together).
- 100 times per minute
- Clockwise for stomach ache
- Anti-clockwise for food retention
KNEADING MANIPULATION (ROU FA)
Kneading slowly and softly on the prescribed region to and fm with the fingers (middle, thumb), the bottom on the palm, major thenar eminence or tip of elbow.
- 100 times a minute
- Soothing the chest oppressiong and regulation Qi
- Promote Qi blood circulation to remove blood stasis
- Expel PF
- Headache, dizziness, insomnia, facial paralysis
- Pain in hypochondrium, constipation, diarrhoea.
HOLDING TWISTING MANIPULATION (BA SHEN FA)
Parts such as fingers and toes with the thumb and the forefinger and rolling-kneading to and fm with relative force. Applied to sml joints esp at the finger joints and toes.
- Lubricating joints, subdue swelling, alleviating pain, relaxing muscles and tendon.
- Promote blood circulation
- Ache and pain, difficult to flex and stretch, sprain finger and toe joints, paralysis and numbness of extremities.
ROLLING MANIPULATION (GUN FA)
With minor thenar eminence and post ulnar used as the force applying surface, practitioner lowers his should and dromps this elbow with this are erected and his pal set upright, proceeds cyclical flexion, extension and in-out-ward arem rotating swinging with the elbow joing and his forearm accomp with extesion and flexion of the wrist joint to roll and the round back of the hand to and fm on the region to be treated.
- 100-160 times per minutes
- Most parts of the body
- Relaxing muscle and tendon, Dredging the meridians
- Promoting Qi Blood cierculation, remove blood stasis
- Relaxing adhesion and lubricating joints
- Used for motor and nervous system
PATTING MANIPULATION (PAI FA)
Patting and beating with an empty palm on the body surface.
- Use for shouder and back, lumbo-scaral portion of the thigh
- Thoracio-abdominal region and the head
- Long and strong patting has effect of sedation, promoting blood circulation and removing blood stasis strengthen body
- Short and light stimulation has effects of exciting the nerve, regulating the function of ST and intestinge, soothing the ches oppression, regulating flow of Qi.
DIGITIAL PRESSING MANIPULATION (DIAN FA)
Heavily pressing the deeper layer tissue by using thmbs, middle finger tip or protrusive part of proximal interphalangeal joints of thier flexed middle finger, index finger or thumb (knuckle).
- Small and concentrated acting area and the acting layer is deep with stabbing pain
- Effect of treating pain with pain
- To treat contravtive pain in epigastric region, numbness of the limbs, pain of old injury.
- Numbness and paralysis
DIGITAL STRIKING MANIPULATION (DIAN JI FA)
Striking with the middle finger tip; tip of thumb fore and mid fingers (3 finger striking); tips of five closed-up fingers (5 finger striking).
- 2-3 times per second
- Exciting or relaxing the mind, relieving stagnation, promoting kidney Yang, Activation functional activities of Qi and Blood
- Treatment of insomnia, traumatic paraplegia, cerebral palsy, hysterical paralysis, peripheral neuritis, prolapse of lumbar intervertebral discs.
TAPPING MANIPULATION (JI FA)
Using back of fis, palmar root, palmar centre, minor thenar eminence or the stick made of mulbarry twigs to pound and hit the body fuface. (tapping/striking manipulation)
- Relaxing muscle and tendon
- Activating the flow or Qi and Blood in meridian and collaterals
- Promoting Blood circulation and remove stasis
- Regulating Qi and Blood
- Hypertension, arthralgia due to wind and damp, numbness, muscular spasm, paralysis of extremities.
FOULAGE MANIPULATION (CUO FA)
Two palms facing each other rapidly roll and knead the held part of the body with relative force and move upwards and downwards repeatedly.
- Ending therapy of upper limbs, costal region and lower limbs
- Regulating Qi, blood and tissues
- Relaxing muscle tendos and removing obstruction in the meridians
VIBRATING MANIPULATION (ZHENG FA)
Forearm stretch-flex muscle group with the tip of mid finger or palm as force giving points and contracting in narrow range swiftly and alternatively to cause soft vibration.
- Tranquilising and improving vision and intelligence, warming middle jiao and regulating the flow of Qi
- Promoting digestion and removing stagnation of food
- Regulating enterogastric peristalsis
- Insomnia, anxiety, vegetative nerve function disturbance, gastrointestinal dysfucntion
WIPING MANIPULATION (MO FA)
Softly rubbing the skin of affected part with the suface of the tumb up and donw or left to right.
Applied on Head, face, cervical part.
- 100-120 times per minutes.
- inducing resuscitation, tranquilizing the mind, restoring consciousness, improving vision, alleviating pain and relaxing muscle and tendons to promote blood circulation.
- Headache, dizziness, facial paralysis, pain of the nape.
SHAKING MANIPULATION (DOU FA)
Holding the distal end of patient's affected upper or lower limbs and make constant narrow range up and down shaking.
- Mainly extremeties and most after foulage and as ending therapy.
- Regulaing Qi blood and tissues and relaxing muscle
- Prolapse of intervertebral discs
- Relax adhesion between the projection and nerve roots.
Name the 15 manipulation techniques of Tuina
- Pushing - Tui
- Grasping - Na
- Pressing - An
- Rubbing - Mo
- Kneading - Rou
- Holding Twisting - Ba Shen
- Rolling - Gun
- Patting - Pa
- Digital Pressing - Dian
- Digital Striking - Dian Ji
- Tapping - Ji
- Foulage - Cuo
- Vibrating - Zheng
- Wiping - Mo
- Shaking - Dou
Demonstrate the following techniques:
- Pushing (Tui Fa)
- Rolling (Gun Fa)
- Kneading (Rou Fa)
- Grasping (Na Fa)
- Patting (Pai Fa).
- Shaking (Yao Fa)
- Digital Striking (Dian Ji Fa).
- Holding Twisting (Ba Shen Fa)
- Foulage (Chuo Fa).
- Tapping (Ji Fa)