The attachment to the tendon of the moveable bone is the ____
The attachment to the tendon of the stationary bone is the ____
Origin is usually distal or proximal?
Insertion is usually distal or proximal?
The pectoralis minor origin and insertion?
- Origin: 2-5th ribs, 3-5th, or 2-4th ribs
- Insertion: Medial border of coracoid process of scapula
Which muscles is affected in winged scapula?
Name the muscles corresponding to the numbers.
- 1)levator scapulae
- 3) infraspinatus
- 4)teres minor
- 5) teres major
- 6) levator scapulae
- 7) infraspinatus
- 8) teres major
- 9) supraspinatus
- 10)teres minor
In punching or a "push-up" the shoulder is doing what action?
abduction (protraction) scapula moving laterally and anteriorally
When pulling the oars of a boat, what actions is the scapula doing?
adduction (retraction) --> scapula moving medially and posteriorally
When lifting a wt over the head, the scapula is doing what?
When pulling down on a pulley, the scapula is doing what?
What muscles attach to the medial (vertebral) border of the scapula, whose origins are in the cervical and thoracic vertebrae?
What muscle originates in the superior 4 or 5 veebtrae and inserts at the superior vertebral border of the scapula?
- Levator scapulae
What muscles are anterior to the subscapularis?
Where does the serratus anterior originate and insert?
- Origin: superior 8-9 ribs
- Insertion: Vertebral border & inferior angle of scapula.
Where does the roator cuff muscles insert?
- SIT: greater tubercle of humerus
- Subscap: lesser tubercle of humerus
What action does the subscapularis do when it contracts?
Medially roates arm at shoulder joint.
Where does the rhomboid minor originate?
C7 and T1
Where does the rhomboid major originate?
How many muscles originate from the scapula. Name them.
7: Deltoid, SITS, Teres major, Coracobrachialis
Which muscles is the "swimmer's muscle?"
Where does the deltoid insert?
Detloid tuberosity of humerus.
How many heads does the deltoid have?
- Anterior: originates in lateral 1/3 of clavicle
- Lateral: Originates in acromion
- Posterior: originates in spine of scapula
Supraspinatus is deep to which other muscle?
What other muscle helps medially rotate the shoulder beside the subscapularis?
anterior fibers of the deltoid.
What action does the supraspinatus do?
Abducting the arm.
Which 3 muscles help laterally rotate the arm?
Posterior fibers of the deltoid, infraspinatus, teres minor.
Which muscles help abduct the arm?
Supraspinatus and lateral fibers of deltoid
What's the treatement for shoulder dislocations?
Reduction, then immobilization in Velpeau sling for 6-8 weeks.
What's the treatement for rotator cuff syndrome?
- 1) Avoid aggravating factors
- 2) NSAIDs/ local steroid injections PRN
- 3) PT
What's the treatement for adhesive capsulitis?
NSAIDs, passive ROM, sometimes manipulation under anesthesia
Differentiate Grade 1, 2, 3 shoulder separation.
- Grade 1: the ligaments are simply sprained/stretched, but not torn. Acutely painful, but no resulting deformity and rarely any long term issues. Heatl within 2-3 weeks.
- Grade 2: AC ligaments are torn w/ CC ligaments remain intact. More pain with Grade 2 injuries and a mild amount of deformity at the AC joint. Heal within 4-6 weeks.
- Grade 3 = disruption of both the AC and CC ligaments. These result in more pain, more deformity and longer healing. (6-8 weeks.)