When ATP is used in the process what is always lost?
At rest what makes creatine phosphate?
ATP and Creatine
During Activity creatine phosphate is broken down to?
ATP and Creatine
Lactic Acid build up causes?
- decrease in ph
- causes muscle pain/burning
What is the Cori cycle?
Muscle releases Lactic Acid into liver then filters it, converts it to glucose.
Anaerobic excercise is?
- Strength and agilitys
- split seconds of power
ex: tennis serve, lefting weights, burst of speed
Aerobic excercise is?
- low and moderate entensity over a long duration
- dependent more on fat
ex: long swim, hiking, jogging
3 major things that influence ATP for longer periods of time are?
- 1. what is available from the diet
- 2. the intensity and duration of avtivity
- 3. degree in which body is conditioned to perform.
The more glycogen a muscle can store the longer the store will do what?
will last during exercise which influences performance.
high amounts of carbs =
high glycogen stores =
1st 20 minutes of exercise uses?
after that it uses?
Intense activity glycogen is used up?
How long glycogen stores will last depends on what?
Not only diet but the activity
Whats "hitting the wall"?
physical exertion becomes nearly impossible.
after a few hours of strenuous activity (aerobic) glycogen gets depleted.
happens to marathon runners
How to maximize Glucose supply/
- - During last stages of endurance activity glucose consumed during the event goes from G1 to muscles providing needed glucose.
- - eating w/in 15 min. accelerates glycogen. high glycemic foods are better
how do you do carbohydrate loading?
- get glycogen stores as high as possible
- eat little carbs
- do not want to do this often can cause anhythmias
- maybe do it 2-4 times a year
Body fat utilization is very important during aerobic exercise because?
it provides a lot of energy.
What are the activity effects on
over 20 minutes
higher less fat will be used
allows body to adapt. and use more fat. you get more mitocondria out of this.
Ergogenic aids are?
Substances or devices that enhance energy production, use or recovery and provide athletes with a competitive advantage.