Tinel & Phalen
- Strike median nerve where it passes through carpal tunnel with index or middle finger
- Positive = tingling sensation radiating from wrist to hand along pathway of median nerve
- Pt holds both wrists in fully palmar-flexed position with dorsal surfaces pressed together for 1 minute.
- Positive = numbness/tingling in distribution of median nerve
Anterior Drawer Test
- Pt flexes knee approximately 45 degrees.
- Place both hands just below knee with thumbs at ridge of anterior tibia.
- Pull tibia forward, then push tibia backward.
- Flex knee approximately 30 degrees.
- Stabilize distal femur with one hand.
- Put other hand at proximal tibia.
- Use 2nd hand to move tibia anteriorly.
Demonstrate Weber Test
- Place vibrating tuning fork on top/middle of patient's head.
- Ask pt if hears better in one ear vs. the other.
- Should be NO lateralization of vibration.
Demonstrate Rinne Test
- Place vibrating tuning fork on mastoid.
- Ask pt to tell you when vibration no longer heard.
- Then move vibrating tuning fork in front of ear.
- Ask pt to let you know when no longer ears vibration.
- Air conduction should be twice as long as bone conduction.
Palpate tactile fremitus
- Palpate various areas of chest while pt says "99"
- Compare vibrations felt in different areas