What does Prokaryotic mean?
"Before Nucleus" has NO NUCLEUS!
What does Eukaryotic mean?
"True Nucleus" HAS NUCLEUS!
4 Common Things That All Cells Share
- DNA (Genetic info)
- Membrane- used as protection from environment
- Ribosomes-Structures that produce protein
- Cytoplasm- Fluid that internal structures suspend in
What is the function of Ribosomes?
Organism composed of Prokaryotic Cells
Organsims composed of Eukaryotic Cells
Prokaryotic Cell Features
- NO NUCLEUS
- NO Internal Organells
- Simple in structure
Prokaryotic Cell "Structures"
- Cell Membrane
- Cell Wall- rigid structure to provide support/ protect membrane
- Nucleoid- region of "loose DNA"
- Cilia- Cell-to-cell communication (how cells identify each other)
- Flagella- Used to move cell, propels cell
Eukaryotic Cell Features
- CONTAINS NUCLEUS
- Complex in structure
- Contains Organelles (organs inside of cells with membranes)
Eukaryotic Cell Organelles
- Endoplasmic Rectulum
- Golgi Apparatus
Organelle with double-membranes with pours/contains DNA
- Organelle that has 2 types
- 1. Smooth ER: produces more membrane, lipids,
2. Rough ER: same as smooth ER but has ribosomes attached and is the only to produce protein
Organelle that recieves packages from ER, labels packages and distributes
- Organells thats a "Recycling Center" of cell
- breaks down components and determines if components are reusable
- Organelle that provides "general maintanence"
- Animal- transports food to lysosome
- Plant- stores water
- Organelle that acts as "Detox Center"
- converts harmful substances into safe material
- Organells with Double Membranes (contains DNA) with ribosomes located in "matrix."
- MAIN FUNCTION- produces energy in cristae, acts as "Power Plant" of all organelles
- Organelle with Double Membranes (contains DNA, Ribosomes located in "Stroma")
- Photosynthesis- converts solar energy into food
What are the Organelles with "Double-Membranes?"
2 Cell Structures of Eurokaryotic Organelles
- Cytoskeleton- "cell skeleton" network of proteins
- Cell Wall- rigid structure of extra support/protection