- A. Race and racism
- B. Ethnicity and ethnocentrism
- C. Racial domination
- D. Minority adaptations to racial domination
- E. Types of discrimination
- F. Causes of Discrimination:
- G. Types of segregation
- H. What are some of strategies to combat racial discrimination?
- I. What is the most desirable racial relations?
- J. What are current racial issues?
- K. Social work roles related to diversity
- 1. Prejudice
- 2. Discrimination
- 3. Segregation
- 4. Extermination
- 5. Concentration camp
- 6. Expulsion
Minority adaptations to racial domination
Types of discrimination
- Small group
- Institutionalized discrimination
- Reverse discrimination
Causes of Discrimination:
- Fear of sheer number
- Social distance
- Competition over political power and economic resources
- Status consciousness
- Countering inferiority insecurity
- Socialization, etc
Types of segregation
- geographical segregation
- cultural segregation
What are some of strategies to combat racial discrimination?
- Contract - greater interaction
- Education - human relations program
- Propaganda - mass media appeal
- Legal measures - civil rights law (1964), affirmative action, school busing, etc.
- Activism - direct confrontation, confronting racist remarks and actions
- Therapy, etc
What is the most desirable racial relations?
- Anglo conformity
- The melting pot
- Cultural pluralism / multiculturalism
What are current racial issues?
- Affirmative action
- Separatism or integration
Social work roles related to diversity
- Social and economic justice for all
- Social stability - mutual trust and support, unity and oneness (social capital building)