- LAYERS of VOICES/INSTRUMENTS
- •How many layers are there?
- •Monophonic (single layer)
- •Homophonic (layer + accompaniment)
- •Polyphonic (many layers)
- •Role of each instrument
- •Thick or thin
- BEAT (underlying pulse)
- •is there a strong beat?
- RHYTHM (patterns of sounds, and silence)
- •what type of rhythms are used?
METRE (grouping of beats) •time signature?
- TEMPO (speed of tbe beat) •how fast is the beat?
- •Is there repetition?
- •are the notes high or low or a combination?
- •What is the highest and lowest?
- •which directon do the noted move in?
- •Overall shape?
- •are there any patterns? ie repetition.
- •what is the key?
- •Does it modulate (change)?
- •are there indefinite or definite pitches or a combination?
Dynamics and Expressive Techniques
- VOLUME w
- •hat is the dynamic? (p pp m mp mf f ff)
- VOLUME CHANGES
- •do the dynamics change? •Suddenly? or gradually? Crescendo, Diminuendo
- STYLISTIC FEATURES
- •are there accents or legato or staccato intended? •Rubato? Melismas? Syllabic? Rapping? Etc.
- •Sliding? Plucking? Etc.
SOUND SOURCE (material) •what types of instruments are used?
- COMBINATION of SOUND SOURCES
- •what combination of instruments are used? •Acoustic/Electric/ Synthesized?
- •How is the sound produced?
- ORGANISATION OF IDEAS
- •Call and response? •Riffs/Ostinatos?
- •Verse Chorus form? •Phrase?
Unity & Contrast
- •constant or varied tempo, beat, time signature?
- PITCH (harmony)
- •key: major to minor
- PITCH (melody)
- •range: wide/broad
- •low/high register
- •variations of melody
- •binary, ternary
- •contrasting sections
- DYNAMICS & EXPRESSIVE TECHNIQUES
- •p pp mp mf f ff
- •volume changes
- TONE COLOUR
- •addition or change in instrumentation?
- •acoustic, amplified, Synthetic?
- •layer changes?
- •sparse, full sound?
- •build tension and excitement?