1. If you only add moisture to the air in which direction is the movement in the psychrometric chart?
a) to the top
b) to the right
c) to the left
d) to the bottom
e) none of the above
to the top
2. You are designing a building for a very hot location. Which of the following is a better method to
reduce solar heat gain (heat gain by radiation) through the windows so that the building does not
4. When is the sun lowest in the sky in North America?
5. In an enclosed space with a heated ceiling the air will naturally convect from the top to the bottom
because the air at the top has a lower density.
a) True b) False
What type of solar protection is creating this shadow mask in the sun path diagram?
9. What can I use to measure sensible heat of the air?
a) a thermostat
10. You must design the shading system for a window that is 6 ft wide. After determining potential
overheated hours and doing the analysis with the sun path diagram and the shadow angle protractor you
determine that you need a Vertical Shadow Angle (VSA) of 45 degrees. You are consulting for the
designer and he wants to place two horizontal elements instead of just one overhang. What is the
required dimension of these two elements to provide the required shading?
12. Which of these has more energy stored inside?
13. What requires more heat?
14. Which of these forms of heat can be transferred through vacuum?
15. What is the resistance of a 0.5” air space in a horizontal roof and in which the heat is moving up. The
air space has aluminum foil on both of its sides. The mean temperature is 50 F and the temperature
difference is 30 F.
16. Peter Simmonds came to our class on Friday as a guest lecturer. He was
17. What are the optimum tilt and orientation for photovoltaic panels in a city in South America that is
located at a latitude of 35 degrees south?