What type of mouse strain is represented by the following nomenclature? TAC:NIH Swiss
- Outbred Stock
- >/= 4 generations, with < 1% inbreeding/generation
- Laboratory Code
- 2-4 capital letters and/or numbers
What type strain is designated by the following nomenclature? DBA/2J
- Inbred Strain
- Brother x Sister matings for >/= 20 generations
- Unique symbol of uppercase letters, Roman letters, or a combination of letters and numbers beginning with a letter
- Other example: C3H
What type of strain is designated by the following nomenclature? CXB6
- Recombinant Inbred
- Cross of two inbred strains
- Follow with bro x sis matings for >/= 20 generations
- Uppercase abbreviation of parent strains
- Female first
- Separate with �X� with no spaces
- For CXB6: C=BALB/c female; B6=C57BL/6 male
What type of strain is this? D2B6F1
- F1 Hybrid
- Progeny of two inbred strains
- Uppercase abbreviations of parents followed by �F1�
- Genetically identical
- Further crosses are NOT genetically identical
What type of strain is designated by this nomenclature? 129S7/SvEvBrd-Fyntm1Sor
- Inbred strain that differs from the original strain by a mutation at a single locus
- Strain symbol: 129S7/SvEvBrd
- Then hyphen: -
- Gene symbol in italics: Fyntm1Sor
What type of strain is shown here? B6.AKR-H2k
- Repeated backcross to inbred strain
- Selection for particular marker from donor strain
- 10 backcross generations
- �Speed congenics�: 5 generations
- Recipient strain symbol (full or abbrev.): B6
- Period: .
- Abbreviated donor symbol: AKR
- Hyphen: -
- Differential allele from donor
- Inbred strains in which an allele or mutation is maintained in a heterozygous state
- Symbol looks just like other inbred strains
- Examples: 129P3/J and B6.Cg-m Leprdb/+ +
What type of strain is designated here? B6-mtCAS
- Nuclear genome from male of one strain backcrossed onto cytoplasmic genome of female of another
- 10 backcrosses required
- Designation: NUCLEAR GENOME-mtCYTOPLASMIC GENOME
What type of strain is shown here? SHR-Chr YBN (Why yes, this is a rat!)
- Consomic or Chromosome Substitution Strain
- Repeat backcrossing of a whole chromosome onto an inbred strain
- 10 backcrosses
- Designation: HOST STRAIN-Chr #DONOR STRAIN
- SHR-Chr YBN: Y chromosome from a BN rat backcrossed onto a SHR rat
Genetically Engineered Mice TgX(YYYYY)#####Zzz
- TgX: Tg for transgene + mode of insertion
- N= Non-homologous insertion
- R= Insertion via retroviral infection
- H= Homologous recombination in embryonic stem cells
- (YYYYY) is the insert designation
- No more than 8 letters and/or numbers
- ##### is the Laboratory assigned number
- Less than 5 characters. In combo with insert, less than 11
- Zzz is the laboratory code
- 3-4 letters, first Uppercase
- Who maintains the Code Registry? (ILAR)
- GEM Example
- B6 from Jackson Lab (J)
- Bears human CD8 genomic clone (N=non-homologous insertion)
- 23rd mouse screened in the lab of Jon W. Gordon (Jwg)
What is the gene for the non-agouti coat color?
- a: Non-agouti
- A or +: Agouti
- Chromosome? 2
What is the gene for the Black coat color?
- Tyrp1 or Tyrp+: Black
- Tyrp1b: Brown
- Chromosome? 4
What is the gene for a pigmnted coat color?
- Tyr or Tyr+: Pigmented
- Tyrc: Albino
- (dominant over others)
- Tyrc-ch: Chinchilla
- Chromosome? 7
What is the gene for a dilute coat color?
- Myo5a or Myo5a+: Non-dilute
- Myo5ad: Dilute
- Chromosome? 9
What is the gene for pink-eyed dilution?
What is the gene for the Beige coat color?
- Lyst (originally bg)
- Chromosome 13
What is the gene for the piebald coat color?
- Ednrb (originally s)
- Chromosome 14
What lymphocytes are deficient in Nude (nu) mice and what is the associated chromosome?
T cells; Chromosome 11
What lymphocytes are deficient in SCID mice and what is the associated chromosome?
T and B cells; Chromosome 16
What lymphocytes are deficient in Beige mice and what is the associated chromosome?
Natural Killer Cells; Chromosome 13
What lymphocytes are deficient in Rag-1 and -2 Knockout mice?
T and B Cells
What lymphocytes are deficient in bg/nu/XID and SCID/bg mice?
T, B, and NK cells