The feild of biology devoted to understanding how characteristics are passed from parent to offspring
The trasmition of characteristics from parent to offspring.
- a gentically determined variant of a characteristic.
- EX. Yellow color of a flower
Pollen grains produced in the male reproductive parts of a flower are transfered to the female reproductive parts of the flower.
Pollen is transferred from the anthers of a flower to the stigma of either that flower or another flower of the same plant.
Pollen is transferred from the anthers of a flower to the stigma of a different plant.
- Pure, for a trait always produced offspring with that trait when they self-pollinate.
- EX: pea plants with yellow pods self-pollinate to produce yellow pods.
Offspring of the true-breeding parents.
Self-pollinated offspring of the F1 Generation.
- The factor that masked the factor for the other trait.
- EX: Tt, Pp, Gg
- Weaker Gene of the two, for it to appear it needs to be paired with the same Gene.
- EX: rr, tt, yy
Law of segregation
a pair of factors (genes) is segregated or separated during the frmation of gametes.
factors separated independently of one another during the formation of gametes
study of the structure and function of chromosomes and genes
Each of the two or more alternate forms of a gene