the Hebrew conjunction and is written with _____ and attached inseperably to the word it governs.
What meanings can the conjunction waw have?
and, so, then, even, but.
other potential translations: with, in addition to, namely, also, or, whether, since, because, so that, if, that, and therefore.
What is the key to translating conjunctions?
Normally the waw conjunction is pointed with _____
Normal waw conjunction = shewa
How does the conjunction waw differ from the preposition in its pointing?
- The conjunction does NOT take the position and pointing of the definite article.
- the article remains attached to the nown and the conjunction attaches to the article as a prefix.
When the conjunction waw is prefixed to a word which begins with a simple shewa or with a labial (bet, mem, pe) it is pointed with _______.
shureq (full letter vowel that looks like waw with a dagesh)
waw + shewa/labial = shureq
waw conjunction + composite shewa = pointed with ________.
- the short vowel in the composite shewa.
- exception = when it is prefixed to elohim. aleph becomes silent. the composite shewa drops out, causing the seghol to lengthen to a tsere.
Sometimes the pointing under the conjunction is lengthend to qamets when __________.
when the conjunction is attached immediately before the accented syllable of a word i pause.
True or false - the hebrew relative pronoun is indeclinable?
What is the hebrew relative pronoun?
What does it mean?
What is a good way to describe the relative pronoun?
- who, whom, which, and that.
- a conjunction depicting a relationship.
How is the relative pronoun asher abbreviated (on rare occasions)?
- sha (shin-pathach- dagesh forte) or (shin-qamets/seghol) if the doubling dot is not possible.
- this abbreviation is alway attached inseperably.