What is the equation for vessel bifurcation?
n = VinAin/VoAo
Atot,daughter = 1.25 Aparent
What is the division of the vessels?
What percentage of blood is red blood cells?
Name 4 issues with modeling blood flow.
1) Flow has an unsteady component.
2) Small vessels are particular flow not continuum (Dv > 50 Drbc)
3) Complex shapes such as branching and tapering.
4) Short tube lengths (Reflections)
Give the three things caused by the velocity gradient in the arteries.
1) Red blood cells tend to tumble.
2) The membrane rotates around the cell (Tank Treading)
3) Due to Bernoulli's principal the pressure is higher above the cell forcing itg to the center of the artery (Axial Streaming)
What are the components of blood pressure.
1) DC (Steady) pressure associated with stretch (Compliance) of the large blood vessels
2) AC (Unsteady) pressure associated with bolus blood injection from the heart.
3) Hydrostatic pressure due to change in height (P = rho*g*h)
What are the parts of the artery wall (inside to outside)?
1) Endothelial cells
2) Basement membrane
3) Internal elastic lamellae (Elastin, E ~10^6)
4) Smooth muscle (Contraction, synthesis)
5) Crimped Collagen (E ~10^9-10^10)
Bio Mechanical Engineering