Situation, Background, Assessment, Recommendation
- The problem
- State your name, what you are calling about (pt name and room number, the problem (the reason I am calling...)
- Brief, Related, To the point
- State the admission diagnosis and the date of admission, state the pertinent medical history, a brief synopsis of treatment to date.
- What you found, what you thinkPertinent objective & subjective information (Most recent vitals, Mental status, Respiratory rate and quality, B/P, pulse rate & quality, PainNeurological changes, Skin color, Rhythm changes)
- What you want.State what you would like to see done:Transfer the patient?Change treatment?Come to see the patient at this time?Talk to the family and patient about….?Ask for a consulting physician to see the patient?
When to use SBAR
- Shift to shift report
- Transfer forms
- Computer Documentation screens
- Telephone conversation guide