What is the recommended protein, fat, CHO, and water intake for atheletes?
- protein: 10%
- fat: <30% (10% mono, poly, sat)
- CHO: 60-70% daily
- water: 2.5 L
What are the CHO in blood glucose, muscle glycogen, and triglycerides used for (intensity/duration of exercise)?
- blood glucose: low intensity exercise (<40% VO2)
- muscle glycogen: moderate intensity (40-60% VO2)
- triglyceride: prolonged exercise (>60 min)- muscle glycogen levels decrease
What is one cause of muscle fatigue?
depletion of muscle glycogen (if you start with more at the beginning, can exercise longer before exhaustion)
- -in moderate to vig exercise >60 min OR
- -very high intensityy (>85%) accumulate lactic acid
How do you maximize muscle glycogen content?
- eat more CHO
- endurance training ^ glycogen stores
How should you eat the week before, to optimize muscle glycogen content?
- day 1-3: eat typical (50-60% CHO), lower training 45-60 min
- day 4-6: ^ CHO (70%), lower training 30 min
- day 7: high CHO (70-90%), no training
When should you eat a light meal before an event?
2-3 hours before
SHould the snack you eat 30-60 minutes before a race be high or low glycemic CHO?
low... eating ^ glycemic CHO could cause rebound hypoglycemia (early fatigue)
What's the benefit of CHO intake during exercise?
- ^ blood glucose
- ^ time to exhaustion by (provides direct source of glucose of CNS, and spares muscle and live glycogen)
How much CHO is recommended for every 30 minutes beyond 90 minutes?
15-30 grams CHO
If you have solid CHO opposed to liquid CHO what do you need to do?
- take in some fluid to help digest
- want 6% CHO electrolyte solution with 2 difference CHO substrates
What is a major cause of fatigue in long duration exercise?
What are the hydration recommendation for exercise?
- 12-20 oz prior to exercise
- 8 oz for every 15 minutes of exercise
- 4-8% CHO beverage for exercise > 1 hour
- avoid alcohol and caffiene
How much fluid is one pound lost?
Within an hour of exercise, how much CHO do you need to consume?
.5 g CHO/lb
For light ot moderate exercise how much protein do you need to consume?
For resistance training/ maintaining muscle how much protein do you need?
To build muscles how much protein and calories do you need?
- .9-1.4g/kg protein
- 300-500 extra calories
How much iron do females lose a day, and how much do they absorb?
- lose: 2 mg/day
- absorb: 1 mg/day