What is artophy?
- Shrinkage of tissue through a loss in cell size or number
- -senile atrophy (through normal aging)
- -disuse atrophy (from lack of use..astronauts)
What is necrosis?
- premature, pathological death of tissue due to trauma, toxins, or infections
- -infarction-blood supply is cut off
- -gangrene-insufficient blood supply
What is apoptosis?
- Programmed cell death
- -normal death of cells that have completed their function and best serve the body by dying and getting out of the way