I’ll Never Be Jealous Again
(Hasler and Sid enter DL. Sid cresses to desk and looks at papers)
- Hasler;What right has the Union to run their Coca-Cola machine with our electricity?
- (Crosses to DR )
- It’s just as Fultion Lewis Jr said last night on the radio.
- (Breaks of suddenly and turns to Sid)Do you listen to Fulton Lewis Jr, Sorokin?
Sid: Well, I’m rather flexible in the matter.
- Say! He has got their number.
- Keen mind,
- One of the greatest thinkers in the country today.
- Should listen to him every night.
- It ought to be in every executive’s contract.
- (Sees book) What’s this?
- (Picks book up) This book shouldn’t be left lying aroundGladys!
- (Gladys enters)
Hasler: Where have you been?
Gladys: I’ve been to the ladies. Isn’t that all right?
Hasler: But… this book
Gladys: Oh, Mr Hasler, you scared the life out of me.
Look., I’ve got the key around my neck. It’s all right.
- (pounding his words while walking to her and handing it to her with two hands )
- I - don’t - want - it -
- left - lying - around.
- Is that clear?
Gladys: Yes Mr Hasler.
(She takes the book then leave humiliated)
- If I can’t trust Gladys, who can I trust?
Sid: I wouldn’t know.
(He follows Gladys DL to find out)
- What was my book doing here anyway?
Mabel: Say Sid, who is this Fulton Lewis Jr, he’s always talking about?
Sid: He plays third base for the Chicago White Sox. The old man’s got a bas case of bookitis, hasn’t he.
I wonder if he’s got a skeleton locked in there. Say Mabel, tell me something. What kind of a girl is Babe Williams?
Mabel: Babe? She peppy. Full of
Sid: Is she married.
- Mabel: Babe? She peppy. Full of spunk.
- Sid: Is she married. Mabel: No, not quite.
- Sid: What do you mean not quite.
- Mabel: Well, she was close once. She was engaged to the Johnson boy. Then one time at a football game she pushed him off the end of the benches and gave him a concussion. The broke the engagement.
Sid: Outdoor girl.
(Hasler enters from L and cross to C)
- Gladys is crying.
- She’s hysterical.
- (He imitates her sobs to Mabel) Gump..
- (To Sid) Gump..
- (Helplessly) I don’t know.
Mabel: She brought the ledger up her to enter the cost totals Mr Hasler.
(exiting L) My gosh.
- Well way the hell couldn’t someone say so?