- -Describes the edge of something
- -Silhouette = shadow
- -Featureless on the inside
- -Outer edge
A thin, crisp line that is definite to what it is
Blind Contour Line
- Produced without looking at paper
- Looking at what is being drawn but not actual drawing
Variations of Line
Different types of line
The distance of an area between, around, above, below or within something.
- The space in which the drawing is taking up
- The space that is not taken up by the drawing
- (black space)
Illusion of Space
When a painting creates an illusion of the amount of space it has
What is actually being painted
example: a painting of a open beach vs. a painting of a lady in a chair = beach, more space.
The feeling an object has, ex. smooth, rough, hard, shiny, soft
When things look smooth/ rough but in reality they are not because they are on a 2D surface.
the texture you can touch. ex. if actual sand was placed on a painting it's real texture.
Something that has 3 dimensions
When a value makes an object look 3D on a 2D surface
- (Looks like it has 3 dimensions but it doesn't because its on a flat surface)
- ***VALUE IS NEEDED TO CREATE IMPLIED FORM***
- Exists in 3 dimensions
- You can hold it
- Made by edges, textures, lines etc
- Can be geometric or organic
- Unusual, non symmetrical.
- Opposite of geometric
- Obvious, regular, symmetrical.
What is color?
- Comes from light
- Everything has a chemical reaction to light, and your eye picks up on this creating color.
You cannot produce primary colors by mixing
What are the primary colors?
Colors that are produced by mixing primary colors
What are the secondary colors?
What is the center of the color wheel?
Made by mixing a primary color with a secondary color
What are the six tertiary colors?
An arrangement of colors that make harmony when mixed
1 color, 1 hue
Next to each other on color wheel that share a common hue
Colors opposite each other on the color wheel
Subcategory of color
ex. yellow-red & yellow-orange = different hue
Adding white to color paint to create lighter values
A scale that shows the gradual change in value
Full Value Range
Complete darkness to complete whiteness
Type of variety
Putting together two extremes to create contrast
ex. dark value next to light value
A balance between unity and variety, ultimate goal of art work
Many different things, plays a part in harmony.
Too much can result in chaos
Things working together, similar.
Too much = boring
Small simple drawing, not detailed
Surface that image exists on
- 6H - lightest/hardest
- HB - neutral
- 6B - darkest/softest