- Repression - unconciously pushing threatening memories, urges or ideas from concious awareness.
- IE: Forgetting a painful memory
- Rationalization - attempting to make actions or mistakes seem reasonable.
- IE - Person evades taxes and rationalizes it by saying the government wastes money.
- Projection - unconsciously attributing ones own unacceptable thoughts or impulses to another.
- IE - instead of "he hates me" it's really "I hate him"
- Reaction Formation - defending against unacceptable impulses by acting the opposite to them.
- IE - sexual impulses toward a married coworker may appear as strong dislike.
- Sublimation - converting unacceptable impluses into socially acceptable actions.
- IE - surgeon with a desire to cut people turns that into life-saving acts.
- IE - person with strong sexual desires becomes an artist.
- Displacement - deflecting an impulse from its original target to a less threatening one.
- IE - man is mad at wife so he hits dog or wife.
- Denial - simply discounting the existance of threatening impulses.
- IE - person denying they have ever had any sexual attraction to someone of the same sex
- Compensation - striving to make up for uncoincious impulses
- IE - big truck for small dick