Exodus 19-20, 24; Deut 5-6
2 Sam 7:1-17; Ps 89
Davidic Covenant: Three Promises
- "Your House" - Davids Lineage would continue
- "Your Kingdom" - Establishment of a Davidic Realm
- "Your Throne" - A 'Davidic Ruler'
What are three common biblical metaphors applied both to Israel and the Church?
- "the bride"
- "the people of God"
"A royal priesthood, holy nation"
1 Peter 2:5-10
"seed of Abraham"
Characteristics and Imminence of Christ's Return (Matthew 24)
- Christ's ascension marked beginning of "last days"
- Christ's return will be in "like manner" of his ascension
- Christ's second coming will be with power and glory
- Christ's second coming will be unexpected
Revelation 20 significance
- Binding of Satan (20:1-3)
- Rest of the dead (20:5)
- Rebellion after millennium (20:7-10)
What happens when we die? -- Reincarnation
What happens when we die? - Resurrection
What happens when we die? - Re-Creation
What happens when we die? Extinction
What is death? Key Passage:
- Genesis 2-3
- Physical death - Separation of immaterial soul from physical body
- Spiritual death - separation and alienation from God
Three views of immortality:
- Natural - the soul is inherently immortal (plato)
- Conditional - Only God is truely immortal. You can be given this as a gift from God, if you do not get it, you lose conscious existence
- Contingent - God alone is inherently immortal, but immortality is given via resurrection(s)
4 views of intermediate state
- Soul Sleep - soul exists in a state of unconscious existence between death and resurrection
- Purgatory - Temporary state between death and heaven to allow completion of sanctification
- Immediate resurrection - Believer immediately receives his/her resurrection body
- Disembodied Existence - between death and resurrection believer exists in a conscious disembodied state of awareness.
Intermediate State: Key Verses
- Luke 16
- Luke 23:43
- Philippians 1:21-23
- 2 Corinthians 5:1-10
- Revelation 6:9-11
The Resurrection: Key Passage and Definition
- 1 Corinthians 15
- Definition: The transformation of a corruptible and mortal body into an incorruptible and immortal body that overcomes sin and death.
Three other views to the existence of hell
- Post - Mortem Evangelism
Arguments for Israel/Church distinction - Key Passage