The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Which Greek military leader conquered the Persian empire?
Alex the Great
Four prohibitions imposed upon the Jews by Antiochus VI
temple sacrifices, cirumcision, TORAH, Judiasm
What Jewish holiday celebrates the re-dedication of the Temple from Zeus to YHWH?
Feast of Lights - Hannukah
Who is King Herod the Great?
renovates Temple, rededicates it to YHWH
Who is King Herod Antipas?
son of Herod the Great, machiavellian ruler
In what year did Rome overtake Jerusalem and destroy the Temple?
When did Jews and Christians finally separate?
Among whom did Alexander the Great divide the empire?
Alexander's military generals
What are the ways scholars probe the scriptures to discern the "historical Jesus"?
extra-biblical evidence, multiple asetation, continuity
What are the three stages of biblical development?
historical, oral, written
Which was the first gospel written?
Which was the last gospel written?
What theory attempts to explain the similarities between the synoptic gospels?
What lies at the center of Mark's gospel?
What is the alternating pattern of Matthew's gospel?
5 books, a-travel, b-teach
What other book did Luke write?
Acts of the Apostles
What are the names of the two "books" of John's gospel?
Book of signs, Book of glory
What is the name of the community of disciples who produced John's gospel?
What other biblical books did the Jonannine community produce?
1, 2, 3, Letters of John & Revelation
What is the "fufillment formula"? (Matthew)
in fufillment of...
What is the Q-source?
hypothetical document of the actual spoken words of Jesus
Who was for and against to circumcision?
for- Peter, against - Paul
The first half of Acts of the Apostles concerns who and where?
Peter - Jerusalem
The second half of the Acts of the Apostles concerns who and where?
Paul - Greek World
To waht does Pentecost refer?
coming of the Holy Spirit
What was Paul's former name?
- Audience - loss/death/pain/escape death/Messiah
- Image - Suffering Messiah
- Charac - suffering/cross/death, urgency
- Audience - intellectual Jews
- Image - New Moses
- Charac - hightened righteousness, Old T. allusions, fufillment formula, teaching
- Struc - 5 books, a.b.
- Audience - disconnected, marginalized, 2nd class Xtians, foreigners
- Image - Spirit-filled Prophet (oracle)
- Charac - inclusive, pray a lot, spirit
- Struct - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 4 - Parables of the Lost
- Jonannine Community
- Audience - Rome, persec., getting expelled from temple
- Image - Divine Man, God=Jesus
- Charac - signs, all knowning, all powerful, poetic, dualisn, symbolic, double entendre