- Explored for France.
- Explored the MISSISSIPPI RIVER to its mouth in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Named the area LOUISIANA, claiming it for FRANCE.
- Sailed for England.
- Was looking for a quicker route to the FAR EAST known as the NORTHWEST PASSAGE.
- Saled near the ARTIC CIRCLE, but had NO SUCCESS.
- Claimed the lands he encountered for ENGLAND.
- An explorer who sailed for both the NETHERLANDS & ENGLAND.
- Searched for the NORTHWEST PASSAGE.
- Claimed and mapped what is now NEW YORK for the DUTCH & land in CANADA for the ENGLISH.
- HUDSON RIVER & HUDSON BAY named for him.
Hernando De Soto
- A SPANISH CONQUISTADOR.
- Explorered throughout the southeastern United States & claimed this land for SPAIN.
Ferdin and Magellan
- Expedition was the first to sail around the world.
- Died before journey complete.
- Claimed for lands for SPAIN.
- His crew proved sailing around the world cold be done, but only at a great cost.
- Saled for a new & faster route to the FAR EAST.
- Sailed west because the Portuguese controlled the eastern route around AFRICA.
- Believed the world was small enough to reach the FAR EAST by sailing WEST.
- Discovered lands & wealth of NORTH & SOUTH AMERICA.
- A VIKING.
- From GREENLAND.
- Sailed the northern ATLANTIC OCEAN.
- Settled briefly in North America and called it VINLAND.