earth centered universe
sun centered universe
- -logical method for gathering data & testing ideas through experimentation
- -sir francis bacon helped develop it
hobbes social contract
-citizens give up power to a central gov. in exchange for security
- -developed the heliocentric theory
- -25 years of studying the planets & stars pointed to this fact
- -challenged several ideas held by the church & greek scholars
- -church arrested him & forced him to recant his beliefs
- -known for testing ideas using logic & math, not experimentation like other
- -"I think, therefor I am"
- -discovered gravity & laws of motion when an apple fell on his head
- -developed idea of god as a clockmaker
- -developed chemistry
- -theorized that small particles, atoms, made up earth opposed to aristotles theory of earth, wind, fire, & water
-believed man is naturally selfish & a powerful gov. is needed to prevent chaos and conflict
- -man has natural rights--life, liberty, & property
- -consent of the governed--man can govern self, should control gov.
- -role of gov. is to protect natural rights of citizens--otherwise they should be overthrown
- -declaration of independence
- -american revolution
-separation of powers/checks + balances in gov.
- -3 branches who all check each other
- -pres. can veto, congress can override & impeach, judiciary can declare something unconstitutional
-consent of the governed--ppl control their gov.
- -laws limit us to protect us
rousseau's social contract
-citizens give up liberties for common good
- -rights for the accused-jury trial, lawyer, illegal searches, fair punishment, etc.
- -4,5,6,7, & 8 amendments
secular vs. religious
- -bcs. of scientific rev., enlightenment, and emphasis of proof people began to question god more than before
- -led to a rise in secularism=worldliness, devotion to things of earth opposed to the divine
- -philosophes taught that the individual could determine the right & wrong for themselves & change gov. & society for the better
- -sole purpose of gov. was to serve the individual
- -humanism to its extreme
- -first started disecting humans (illegal with church before)=this resulted in more accurate study
- -first vaccinations
- -small pox--dangerous at first
-time when scientists began testing old ideas about the world & universe, they questioned "reality"
-groups of scholars hanging out discussing topics