What are some changes, ideologically and musically, of The New Order?
- 1. Ideas of liberty, equality, and brotherhood spread across Europe.
- 2. The changed political and econmoic order had a strong impact on music.
- - decline of aristocratic patronage;rise of middle-class music-making and public concerts
- -music for home or public performance became more prominent than ever
How did music-making affect middle and upper classes?
- It offered an outlet.
- Music-making in the home was mainly the piano.
- Piano innovations allowed for new effects and expanded ranger.
- It also became the for public concerts.
What style was created with the boom in music publishing, and what were its characteristics?
- early Romantic style:Accessibility, while being appealing.
- - beautiful melodies with attractive accompaniments
- -strong extra-musical associations and descriptive titles
- -mixture of conventional and unusual harmonies
- Found throughout music, in home and public.
How was Romanticism birthed?
Started in Germany as a literary movement, especially fascination with the medieval romance. Gives its name to an artistic movement that values imagination and personal expression.
What are some characteristics of the Romantic movement?
- In a society driven by technology, Romaticism provided refuge in the past, in myths, dreams, in the supernatural, and the irrational.
- As people moved to urban centres, nature was increasingly valued
- While life became routine in factories and shops, Romaticism pursued novelty and the exotic.
What were some distinctions made between types of instrumental music?
- Programmatic: recounts a story or sequence of events, often described in a text called a program.
- Character Piece: suggests a particular mood, personality, or scene that is usually indicated in the title.
- Absolute Music: music with no programmatic or descriptive aspects - music that exists for its own sake.
What were some links between literature and music in the Romantic movement? What type of genre did this create?
- 1. Many composers were writers.
- 2. Instrumental works were often linked to literary works through a descriptive title or program.
- 3. In setting words to music, composers sought to create a closer union than ever before.
- It created the German Lied
What is the Lied?
- A German Art song of the Romantic period, for solo voice with piano accompaniment. Usually as important as the vocal part. Uses fine poems.
- Became very important genre of the 19th century.
- Lieder (pl.) were often grouped into collections with a unifying characteristic, such as texts by a single poet