What are some characteristics of the Eroica Symphony?
- Longer than any other previous symphony
- Title suggests that the symphony is a celebration of the ideals of heroic greatness
- Perhaps the heroism depicted in the work is Beethoven's own
- Revolutionary length, complexity, and rhythmic force
- Revolutionary: four movements, but each extends Classical principles of form and tonality. Remains his most innovative up to his ninth.
Give everything about Symphony No.3 In E-Flat Major
- Composer: Beethoven
- Genre: Symphony (first movement)
- Century: 19th
- Form: sonata form
- Characteristics: Two loud tonic chords at the opening provide the briefest of introductions.
- Movement has dissonances far more intense than the symphonies of Mozart or Haydn.
How was Beethoven considered a "cultural hero"?
- His life story helped to define the Romantic view of the creative artist as a social outsider.
- Beethoven's works are central to the symhponic repetoire, and to the repertoires for piano, for string quartet, and for other chamber ensembles; later composers for those media have had to come to terms with him.
- Beethoven's influence is felt not only in musical style and technique, but also in conceptions of music and the role of the composer. (image of a composer as an artist pursuing self-expression)