What are the 2 subtypes of schizophreniform disorder?
What are the clinical symptoms of schizophreniform disorder?
Clinical symptoms of schizophrenia and coincidentally a major mood disturbance, such as a manic or depressive episode. They must also have periods of illness in which they have psychotic symptoms without a major mood disturbance. Mood disturbances need to be present for a substantial portion of the illness.
What is the age of onset of schizophreniform disorder
Late teens to early 20s
What is schizoaffective disorder?
A disorder with psychotic episodes that resemble schizophrenia but with prominent mood disturbances. Their psychotic symptoms, however, must persist for some time in the absence of any mood syndrome
What is the management of schizophrenia?
- 1. Antipsychotics- used to treat acute psychotic episodes and to maintain pts in remission or with long-term illness.
- 2. Psychosocial treatments- stable reality oreinted psychotherapy, family support, psychoeducation, social and vocational skills training, attention to details of living situation (housing, roommates, daily activities.
What are some nutrtional causes of acute psychotic syndromes?iacin
- 1. Niacin deficiency (pellagra)
- 2. Thiamine deficiency (Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome)
- 3. Vitamin B12 deficiency
What are some metabolic causes of schizophrenia?
- 1. Acute intermittent porphyria
- 2. Cushing's syndrome
- 3. Early hepatic encephalopathy
- 4. Hypo and hypercalcemia
- 5. Hypo and hyperthyroidism
- 6. Paraneoplastic syndromes (Limbic encephalitis)
What are some neurologic causes of acute psychotic syndromes?
- 1. AIDS encephalopathy
- 2. Brain tumor
- 3. Complex partial seizure
- 4. Early alzheimer's or pick's dz
- 5. Huntington's dz
- 6. Hypoxic encephalopathy
- 7. Infectious viral encephalitis
- 8. Lupus cerebritis
- 9. Neurosyphilis
- 10. Stroke
- 11. Wilson's Dz
Which toxic agents can cause acute psychotic syndromes?
- 1. Carbon disulfide
- 2. Heavy metals
Which prescription drugs can cause acute psychotic syndromes?
- 1. Anticholinergics
- 2. Digitalis toxicity
- 3. Glucocorticoids and ACTH
- 4. Isoniazid
- 5. L-DOPA, and other dopamine agonists
- 6. NSAIDS
- 7. Withdrwl from MAOIs
Which drugs can cause acute psychotic syndromes?
- 1. EtOH withdrwl
- 2. Amphetamines and cocaine,
- 3. PCP and hallucinogens
- 4. sedative hypnotic withdrwl
What are the major psychiatric disorders casuses of Acute psychotic syndromes?
- 1. Acute exacerbations of schizophrenia
- 2. Atypical psychoses (eg schizophreniform)
- 3. Depression with psychotic features
- 4. Mania
What are the major categories in the differential of schizophrenia?
- 1. Major psychiatric disorders
- 2. Drug abuse and withdrl
- 3. prescription drugs
- 4. other toxic agents
- 5. neurologic causes
- 6. Metabolic causes
- 7. nutritional causes