king or queen has all power within state
idea that god created monarchy, ruler is gods representative on earth
palace at versaille
- made by louis XIV
- -cost $2.5 billion
- -proof of Absolute power
an intellectual movement that stressed reason and thought of individuals to solve problems.
gov, religion, econ, education
2 old school beliefs and their new school beliefs
- old new
- the citizens exist to serve the state - state exists to serve citizens
- monarchs right is justified by divine right - a govs power comes from consent of people
- all events in history, and our lives, are based on belief
- when beliefs change, revolution is brought about
enlightenment - american revolution - french revo - latin american revo
wrote the leviathan (sea monster)
without government, life would be brutish, nasty and short.
must give up rights to strong ruler.
supported absolute monarchy, "social contract"
people can learn from experience, improve selves
have natural ability to govern own affairs.
people are born free + equal
3 natural rights: life, liberty, and property.
gov protects rights. if not, citizens overthrow it
5 principles of enlightenment
- reason- used to discover logic and truth
- nature- good and reasonable
- progress- society, human kind improve
- liberty -freedom
tolerance, reason, religious freedom. free speech
"may not agree.... fight to death"
political liberty. separation of powers. checks and balances.
basis for us gov.
individual freedom, equality of all people, direct democracy, general will of society
dramatic/radical change/shift in the understanding of the physical world
scientific revo. was brought about by...
questioning of beliefs, willingness
rennaissance, reformation, exploration
earth center of universe
sun center of universe
logical procedure for gathering and testing ideas
question - hypothesis - experiment - analyze - conclusion