State the structures of the Outer ear and it's function.
- Pinna external flap cartilage & collects the sound waves.
- External auditory meatus- opening of auditory canal.
- Auditory Canal- tube shape and lead to the tympanic membrane, it carries the sound waves toward the middle ear, lined with cilia.
What are the parts of the Pinna?
- Helix- folded portion.
- Tragus- lead toward the lobe
State the structures of the middle ear and their functions.
- 1. Typmanic membrane (ear drum)- separates external from middle ear
- Vibrates in response to sound waves.
- 2. Ossicles (tiny bones) malleus, incus, stapes
State the structures of the inner ear.
- Oval Window
- Round Window
- The entire inner ear is filled with auditory fluid (perilymph & endolymph)
- Cochela (snail like structure)
State the structures lined with ceruminous glands and function of cerumen.
- The auditory canal is lined with cerumen glands.
- Cerumen (earwax) filters, lubricates and protects the ear from dirts, dust and microbes.
State the function of eustachian tube with reference to tympanic membrane.
- The auditory tube that connects the midde ear to the pharynx (throat).
- It helps maintain equal pressure in the middle ear.
What structures are responsible for maintenance of equilibrium? Where?
- The semicircular canal, Utricle & Saccule are responsible for equilibrium.
- In the inner ear.
Trace sound waves from pinna to temporal lobe of the brain.
- External auditory Meatus
- Auditory Canal
- Tympanic membrane
- Ossicles (malleus, incus, stapes)
- Oval Window
- Auditory Fluids
- Organ of Corti
- Nerve (Auditory, Cochlear, VIII Cranial Nerve)
- temporal lobe of brain
What is the medical term used to describe the Tympanic Membrane?
What is the initial area just after the oval window?
What is the essential "organ of hearing"?
Organ of Corti
What is the appearance of a normal tympanic membrane?
What is the appearance of an infected eardrum?
Red or pink
What is the indication that there is fluid behind the eardrum?
What is the instrument used during the examination of the ear?
The specialist who performs an ear exam is?