What records are releaseable?
1. records kept in the normal course of buisness
2. investigative report, autopsy report and toxicology report
3. discretion of the medical examiner
What information will the Milwaukee County Medical Examiner be allowed to release?
1. death investigation report
2. completed autopsy report
3. completed toxicology report
What are the release procedures for a suicide note ?
verify a release of a copy of the suicide note to NOK
a year and a day later the ME can release the original suicide note
What is Non-Disclosure of information and how is it obtained?
Non-disclosure information is important to an ongoing investigation
Law enforcement can write a formal document requesting that information may not be released
What is the Health Insurace Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA)
Effective in October 2003
Governed by federal government
provides privacy and security regulatiosn for medical records and patient information
restricted release of patient information
medo death exam