- 1 : simultaneous and contradictory attitudes or feelings (as attraction and repulsion) toward an object, person, or action
- 2a : continual fluctuation (as between one thing and its opposite)
- b : uncertainty as to which approach to follow
- one that adheres: as
- a : a follower of a leader, party, or profession
- b : a believer in or advocate especially of a particular idea or church
- an adherent of free trade
- <the Flat Earth Society surely doesn't have many adherents>
Something not typical; deviation from standard
- 1) Tom's bad behavior was an aberration. So was Harry's good behavior. That is, Tom was usually good and Harry was usually bad.
- 2) The chef at this restaurant is dreadful; the good meal we just had was an aberration.
- 3) A snowstorm in June is an aberration; snow doesn't normally fall in June.
- 1 : subordinate, subsidiary <the main factory and its ancillary plants>
- 2 : auxiliary, supplementary <the need for ancillary evidence> — ancillary noun
- The company hopes to boost its sales by releasing ancillary products.
- 1 : of or relating to the antipodes; specifically : situated at the opposite side of the earth or moon <an antipodal meridian> <an antipodal continent>
- 2 : diametrically opposite <an antipodal point on a sphere>
- 3 : entirely opposed <a system antipodal to democracy>
- <love is antipodal to hate>