Wanted to move capital to the south support of national debt plan
What did the Judiciary Act of 1789 create?
- established first U.S. federal judiciary
- established first federal court system and number of supreme court justices
- provided for the appeal of certain state court decisions to the federal court
Cause of the whisky rebellion
Hamilton placed a tax on liquor
Why were people mad over alien and sedation act?
freedom of the press
What did Marbury vs. Madison do?
formed judicial review
What is Judicial Review?
supreme court has power to abolish legislative acts by declaring them unconstitutional
Name of the transaction when we bought Louisiana?
The Louisiana Purchase Treaty
Why did we go into war in the War of 1812?
Britain imposed a series of trade restrictions on colonies
What did the federalist support?
- Alexander Hamilton
- support constitution
- power of national gov. over states
What happened as a result of the XYZ affair?
- Alien and Sedation Acts
- Undeclared naval war
- Ant-iFrench Feelings
What did Jackson support?
- Indian Removal Act
- Spoils system
What was the Monroe Doctrine a response to?
- a policy of U.S. opposition to any European interference in the affairs of the Western Hemisphere (1823)
- U.S. would not interfere with current European colonies
Who did the Tariffs of Abomination help?
What did the American System do?
- high tariff to support internal improvements (railroads, national banks)
- Whig Party
What did Jackson push through by being president?
got ride of everybody and hired new people
What did the factory system need?
Why were they called 5 Civilized Tribes?
- The Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek, and Seminole
- Because they lived in European style settlements as farmers and planters
- Organized forms of government
Nullification proposed the idea of what?
a states refusal to recognize an act of congress that it considers unconstitutional
What was the Whig Party in favor of?
- Jackson presidency
- internal improvements
- congress over presidency
- opposition to Jackson
Who supported states rights?
What contributed to the Panic of 1837?
- financial crisis
- when every bank began to accept payment only in gold/silver
- run away slave
- learned to read and write
- North Start (newspaper)
- free black
- advised blacks to fight for freedom rather then to wait for slave owners to end slavery
- mentally ill reform
- and jails
Elizabeth Cody Stanton
headed the first women's right convention
- preached abolition
- woman reformer
- former slave
What established the right of workers to strike?
Annexation of Texas
- lead to a war with mexico
Stephen F. Austin
"father of Texas"
defeated Santa Ana at the battle of San Jacinto
Samuel F.B Morse
Who won and lost the election of 1848?
- Winner: Jackson
- Loser: Adams
Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo
- ended the Mexican American War
- U.S. got California, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, Colorado, Arizona
- Rio Grande as southern boundary
- believed only way to protect their homeland was to form a confederacy
- negotiated with British
- opposed U.S. during war of 1812
- attempted to form Native American Confederacy
- U.S. minister to Great Britain
- signed treaty on behalf of Britain and Spain (1795)
- Spain gave up all lands east of Mississippi River except for Florida
- recognized the 31st parallel as the southern boundary os U.S and northern boundary of FL