506 Master Associations

The flashcards below were created by user Kshowalter on FreezingBlue Flashcards.

  1. 506 Master Associations

    The tax rules that apply to condominium and homeowners' associations generally
    also apply to master associations
    • IRS Regulation 1.528-1 (HTL—Appendix 5N) states, “. . . if the
    • membership of an organization consists of other homeowners associations, the
    • owners of units, residences, or lots who are members of such homeowners
    • associations will be treated as the members of the organization for the
    • purposes of the regulations under Section 528.” Thus, so long as a master
    • association meets the qualifying tests under IRC Section 528 (see paragraph
    • 502.3), it may file its income tax return on Form 1120-H.
  2. Residential or Nonresidential?

    506.2 It may be difficult to determine if a master association is
    residential or nonresidential when it is made up of a combination of different
    types of associations; e.g., homeowners' associations plus commercial
    condominium associations. That determination is critical when deciding whether
    the master association qualifies:
    • • To file Form 1120-H. (See
    • paragraph 506.5.)

    • • For a carryover of excess
    • membership income under Revenue Ruling 70-604. (See paragraph 506.6.)
  3. 506.3 The only guidance dealing with the qualification of a master
    association as a residential homeowners' association is found in Treasury
    Regulations 1.528-1 (see paragraph 506.1) and 1.528-4. Treasury Regulation
    1.528-4 (HTL—Appendix 5N)
    • requires that 85% of the square footage of a condominium association be
    • used for residential purposes or that 85% of the lots of a residential real
    • estate management association be zoned for residential purposes. Timeshare
    • associations are not affected by the substantially residential test.
  4. 506.4 If a master association is a mixed-use association, consisting of
    a combination of condominiums, residential lot associations, timeshare
    associations or units, and commercial use lots, the substantially residential
    determination is made by
    • applying the criteria in the regulations to all subsidiary association
    • members as a whole. Beginning at paragraph 502.6 is a detailed discussion of
    • the substantially residential test.
  5. Filing Form 1120-H

    As explained in paragraph 506.1, to qualify to file Form 1120-H, the master
    association as a whole should meet the provisions discussed in paragraph 502.3.
    As a first step, the
    • transient use test should be applied to see if the CIRA is residential
    • or nonresidential. Based on the answer to the transient use test, a
    • determination must be made about whether the master association as a whole
    • meets the substantially residential test. If it does, the 60% income test, 90%
    • expenditure test, and the lack of benefit test should be applied to see if the
    • master association qualifies to file Form 1120-H under IRC Section 528
    • (HTL—Appendix 2K).
  6. 506.6 To qualify for a carryover of excess membership income under
    Revenue Ruling 70-604 (HTL—Appendix 6H), a master association may have
    to meet the substantially residential test
    • discussed beginning in paragraph 502.6. As noted in paragraph 503.27,
    • the IRS has released contradictory advice about whether the revenue ruling
    • applies only to residential associations. Accountants should be alert for
    • future developments in that area.
Card Set
506 Master Associations
Chapter 5
Show Answers