first step in gaining true knowledge
the fear of the Lord
What is the fear of the Lord?
the Lord himself is watching and evaluating every word, thought, action, attitude, and motive of your heart
What do we see about fools?
they despise wisdom and instruction
vs 8 &9 : Why is it important not to forsake your parents teaching?
- we may be blocked by barriers that make us face the future realistically
- unaware problems could exist - naive --> awareness
- not concerned --> concern
- don't want to deal with it --> responsibility
Why don't they climb over the barriers?
- don't want to grow up
- it won't be cool to think like an adult
- they will lose prestige
- they haven't decided yet which model to accept
what is maturity?
The Home and Family: on what major issues should you now be forming opinions and convictions?
- growing up
- becoming an adult
- courtship and marriage
- knowing God's will
- work ethics
The Home and Family: "and they lived happily ever after"
don't count on it
- Romantic, erotic love, sensual love
- focused on self; based on physical attraction, unstable (selfish, changes a lot, "puppy love")
- family, based on filial attraction;
- love with in a family, natural, undeserved, but strengthened by performance and communication
- friends, deep affection; based on mutual interests
- based on communication and relationship
- Unconditional , unselfish love
- based on the character of the one loving, unrelated to the character and performance of one being loved
Ranking of love for marriage:
- Eros: +3 - hollywood--> divorce so quickly\
- Phileo +8 - friendship is good for a relationship
- Agape +10 - essential for life
do not set yourself up to fall in love until you are marriageable
- guard your heart against falling in love
- don't put yourself in circumstances that would cause you to fall in love prematurely