Deals with people's relationships with their environments and spatial organization of human activity.
Deals with Earth's natural processes and their outcomes.
Geographers have contributed at 3 levels/scales of analysis:
- 1. Local
- 2. National
- 3. Global
Forces of change in Kelowna?
- 1. Aging population
- 2. Influx of wealthy older people
Geographic knowledge is important because the world is increasingly characterized by:
- Instant global communications
- Unfamiliar international relationships
- Unexpected local change
- Growing evidence of environmental degradation
Factors that contribute to city urbanization:
- Environmental change
- Demographic change
- Political change
- Cultural change
- Social change
- Technological change
- A concentration of people with a distinctive way of life in terms of employment patterns and lifestyle.
- A high degree of specialized land uses and a wide variety of social, economic, and political institutions that coordinate the use of facilities and resources in the city make them complex machines.
A process and a condition that involves the increasing interconnectedness of different parts of the world through common processes of economic, environmental, political and cultural change.
For a city to attract people, must have:
- Tolerance (for diversity of people)
- Women more likely to work in informal economy - gov't has no control over wages, don't pay taxes.
- Women tend to make less than men and work longer hours.
- Also inequality in education, life expectancy and income.
An independent system of countries lived by economic and political competition.
Regions that dominate trade, control the most advanced technologies, and have high levels of productivity within diversified economies.
Regions with dependent and disadvantageous trading relationships, obsolete technologies, and underdeveloped or narrowly specialized economies with low levels of productivity.
Regions that are able to exploit peripheral regions but are themselves exploited and dominated by core regions.
Problems in Kelowna vs. Vancouver
- Aging population in Kelowna
- Homeless and cultural diversity is higher in Vancouver