4 atmospheric layers
- closest to surface.
- weather is here.
- temp DECREASES as altitude INCREASES
- temp INCREASES as altitude INCREASES.
- almost all protective ozone here.
- absorbs sun's energy and warms air.
- reduce UV radiation that reaches earth.
- coldest layer.
- temp DECREASES as altitude INCREASES.
- very hot because nitrogen and oxygen absorb solar radiation. wouldn't feel hot to us because air is thin, so particles don't bump and heat doesn't transfer.
- contains ionosphere.
- ions-electrically charged atoms.
- atoms in lower part absorb X rays and Gamma rays and become electrically charged.
- ions radiate energy and glow (NORTHERN LIGHTS).
solar energy reaches eart as..?
- electromagnetic radiation-visible light, infafred radiation, UV light.
- energy radiates so it isnt too hot.
- dark objects absorb more energy, so hotter.
- warm air rising and cold and cold air sinking moving in a circular pattern.
- constantly moving air causes weather.
- heat radiates off surface; some leaves, but most absorbed by greenhouse gases and warms air. heat radiates back down to earth. without, earth would be too cold for life.
- greenhouse gases- water vapor, CO2, methane, nitrous oxide.
continuous movement of water into the air, onto land, and back to sources.
process by which liquid water is heated by the sun and rises into the atmosphere as water vapor.
wator vapor forms droplets on dust particles. form clouds. the droplets collide and form larger, heavier drops. precipitates.
rain snow sleet hail
atlantic, pacific, indian, arctic. all joined to be called "world ocean." 70% OF SURFACE.
- pacific. divided into north and south based on direction.
- south- counterclockwise
- ^based on equator
in mariana trench in pacific ocean. (near philippines)