What is the definition of a project?
- Creates a unique product or service.
What is the definition of a program?
- A group of interrelated projects;
- managed in a coordinated way.
What is the definition of a portfolio?
A group of programs to achieve a specific strategic business goal.
What is a product life cycle?
The cycle of a product's life from conception to withdrawal.
What is a project life cycle?
- What you need to COMPLETE the work.
- It varies by industry and type of project.
What is the project management process?
What you need to MANAGE the work
- Monitoring and controlling
What is a project management office?
- A department that centralizes the management of projects
- Provides the policies, methodologies, and templates for managing projects within the organization, or;
- Provides support, guidance, and training to others in the organization on how to manage projects, or
- Provides project managers for different projects, and is responsible for the results of those projects.
What are project constraints?
- Customer satisfaction
- Constraints are used to help evaluate competing demands
Who are stakeholders?
- Anyone whose interest may be positively or negatively impacted by the project, including:
- Project manager
- Performing organization
- Funding resources
- End User
What should we do with stakeholders?
- Identify all of them
- Determine all of their requirements
- Determine all of their expectations
- Communicate with them
- Manage their influence
What are the three primary forms of organization?
What is a functional organization?
The company is grouped by aeas of specialization (eg accounting, marketing)
What is a projectized organization?
- The company is grouped by project.
- the team has no department to go at project end.
- The project manager has total control of the resources.
What is a matrix organization?
A blend of funvtional and projectized organization where the team members have two bosses (the project manager and functional manager)
What is a strong matrix organization?
A matrix organization where the balance of power rests with the project manager instead of the functional manager.
What is a weak matrix organization?
- A matrix organization where the balance of power rests with the functional manager instead of the project manager
- The project manager's role may include:
- Project expediter
- Project coordinator