what is the loading dose in pediatrics for procainamide
15 mg/kg IV/IO over 30-60 min
what is the maintnence infusion of procainamide in adult?
1-4mg/min (dilute in D5W or NS)
dosage of procainamide in adult for other indications
20mg/min IV infusion until any one of the following occurs:
QRS widens by greater than 50% of its pretreatment width
total dose of 17mg/kg has been met
dosage of procainamide for urgent situations in adult
up to 50mg/min (max of 17mg/kg)
dosage of procainamide in adult for recurrent v-fib/ pulseless v-tach
20 mg/min iv infusion (max. 17mg/kg)
how is procainamide supplied
1. 1g in 10ml vials(100mg/ml)
2. 1g in 2ml vials (500mg/ml) for infusion
side effects of procainamide
1. widening of PR, QRS, QT intervals
2. AV heart block
4. reflex tachycardia
major contraindications of procainamide?
1. torsade de pointes
2. 2nd or 3rd degree block (without pacemaker)
3. digitalis toxicity
4. tricyclic antidepresent overdose
indications for use of procainamide?
1. stable monomorphic v-tach with normal QT interval
2. reentry SVT uncontrolled by vagal maneuvers & adenosine
3. stable wide complex tachcardia of unknown origin
4. atrial fibrilation with rapid ventricular rate in patients with wolff-parkinson white syndrome
what type of drug is procainamide?