At what decibel level is double hearing protection required?
Name the PPE required for taking a 2190 L/O sample.
When is a 2190 L/O sample required to be taken?
- Within 24Hrs prior to startup
- When operating, accomplish daily (includes machinery in Auto Start configuration)
- Upon receipt of oil
- Once within 24Hr period prior to each XFER
- Unusual operating conditions
- After equipment casualty
- Test purifier discharge 30 minutes after starting and at least once per watch
What are we looking for in a SAT set of L/O purifier efficiency samples?
Inlet is cleaner than outlet
How do we verifying alignment of a shut valve that has no visual position indication?
Turn valve in the shut direction, never open a valve without EOOW?s or EDO?s permission.
Define oily waste.
Oily waste is defined as any petroleum product mixed with water that accumulates or collects in bilges, drainage tanks, etc.
Define waste oil.
Waste oil is oil whose characteristic have changed markedly since being originally refined and has become unsuitable for further shipboard use, and is not considered economically shipboard recyclable.
What are the discharge limits for oil entrained water that can be discharged over the side?
Federal discharge regulations allow the maximum oil concentrations of 15 ppm when operating within (in-port) 12 NM from the nearest land. When operating beyond (at-sea) 12 NM from the nearest land, the maximum allowable oil discharge concentration is still 15 ppm. However, if 15 ppm cannot be achieved, then the ship must limit its discharges to less than 100 ppm.
What is the purpose of the MRG?s dehumidifier?
Dehumidifiers remove moisture from the air inside the MRG to prevent internal rusting.
At what point during the Propulsion Plant light off is the dehumidifier secured and the precipitator required to be aligned?
Prior to starting the L/O Purifier
Other than heating up the MRG sump, why is the LOP required to be running MRG sump to sump prior to L/O service pump light off?
In order to pre-lube the L/O service pumps mechanical seals
During the securing of the Propulsion Plant, what must be true prior to securing the precipitator and aligning the dehumidifier?
Three hours after L/O service system is secured and after sump temp is within 10 Deg F of space ambient Temp
What PPE must be used to handle Synthetic L/O?
- Chemical Gloves
- Rubber Apron
- Non-Vented Goggles
Prior to entering a GTG module what precautions should be taken?
Ensure module is below 140 Deg F, Ensure Halon flooding system is disabled, If engine is running ensure it is unloaded, Station a safety observer outside module door, inventory all materials taken into module
In accordance with GTGMS how long is a K34 motored for?
What is the cooling media for the two bleed air coolers in the Main Engine Rooms?
Sea Water Cooling
What is the cooling media for the bleed air cooler in the GEN RM?
Name six users of Vital LP air in the engineering plant.
- MRG Brakes
- GTM Blow-In Doors
- Bleed Air Control Valves
- Stern Tube Inflatable Seal
- Vent Closures
- GTM Vent Dampers
- Ventilation Closures
- F/O Unloader Vlv
- L/O Cooler Pilot
- GTG Services
Name three users of Electronic Dry air.
- Antenna/Radar Waveguides
- SLQ-32 & SPS-64
- How would Combat equipment be effected if there were a loss of Sea Water Service pressure?
- AC units require SWS in order to cool refrigerant and provide for chill water cooling. A loss of chill water will affect a the CW cooling skids. A loss of SWS will also affect the SPY Skid which is cooled by SWS.
Name 5 systems requiring double barrier protection.
- High temperature (200oF or more)
- High pressure (1000 PSI or greater)
- All sea connected systems (except lines less than 1/2 inch IPS inboard of the backup valves)
- All hull penetrations below the maximum anticipated waterline (except mechanical and electrical penetrations designed for single closure (e.g., shaft or cable penetrations, etc.))
- Fluids with flash point below 200?F
- Hazardous, toxic fume (dry cleaning fluid, photo-chemical fluids and phosphate ester hydraulic fluid)
What is the purpose of L/O Logic?
To maintain L/O Most Remote bearing pressure during a loss of L/O pressure
What are the parameters of L/O logic?
If Most Remote bearing pressure drops to 13 PSIG, the Lead Pump (Electric Pump) cycles to ?SLOW?. If Most Remote bearing pressure drops to 11.5 PSIG, the Lead Pump cycles to ?FAST?. If Most Remote Bearing pressure decreases to 10 PSIG, the Standby Pump cycles to ?FAST?. If Most Remote bearing pressure decreases to 8 PSIG the ?Most Remote Bearing Press Low? alarm sounds.
Name five factors that affect L/O header pressure.
- L/O Temperature
- L/O Unloader and Sensing Line
- Obstruction of piping or filter
- Major Leak
- Pump failure
- Faulty pressure sensor
- Relief valve lifts
What is the purpose of CRP logic?
To start or stop the Electric CRP pump in order to maintain CRP system Flow
What are the parameters of CRP logic?
When the gear-driven CRP pump oil discharge flow rate exceeds 120 GPM, the electric CRP pump will automatically stop. When the high pressure oil flow to the OD box drops below 90 GPM, electric CRP Pump will automatically restart
Name 5 uses of LP air in a GTG.
- Closure of Five and Dimes B/A Valves during a water wash or a fire stop
- Vent Dampner
- Exhaust Dampner
- 14th stage B/A valve
- Air Assist F/O Nozzles
Prior to what situations are steering checks required?
- Within 24 hours prior to entering or leaving port
- Before UNREP operations if test has not been performed within 48 hours
Describe GTM MGTEC conditions.
GTM operating above 1000 Deg F T5.4 and/or above 8000 rpm NGG
What are the emergency cooling procedures for a GTM?
- Restart engine within four minutes of turbine shut down.
- Motor for five minutes after turbine stops rotation within ten minutes after initiation of shutdown.
- Perform five minute motoring immediately prior to restart.
What is a GTM starter?s starter duty cycle?
45 sec On, 2 minutes Off for any number of cycles or 2 minutes On, 5 minutes Off, 2 minutes On, 21 minutes Off in any 30 minutes
Name six factors that affect F/O header pressure?
- Low or empty fuel tanks
- Loss of electrical power
- Clogged F/O prefilter or filter/separator
- F/O service pump malfunction
- Ruptured F/O service piping
- Unloader relief valve malfunction
- F/O Unloader