What are the four watch stations involved with CBR?
- Internal Survey Team
- External Survey Team
- Perosnnel DECON Station Operator
- Decontamination Team
What are chemicals designed to do?
- Kill personnel
- Create Casualties
- Make life miserable
What are the 5 agents associated with CBR?
Name three Blister agents?
- Phosgene Oxime
Name one blood agent?
What is the CBR shape for Nerve Agents?
- 8 Sided green star
- red explanation mark
What are some symptoms of Nerve agents?
- Miosis (pin pointed pupils)
- Sudden headache
- runny nose
- cerebral fluid
- Muscle twitching
- Respiratory failure
What type of CBR attack was used in the Tokyo subway terrorist attack?
Nerve agent attack using Sarin gas
What matter form are nerve agents associated with?
Nerve agents are very ___ and ____
effective and deadly
Is there a drug antidote for nerve agents?
What is the CBR shape for blood agents?
Red circle with green explantion mark
What are some symptoms of a blood agent?
- violent convulsions 20-30 seconds long
- breathing stops in under 1 minute
- Death can occur within 1-5 minutes
Is there a treatment for a blood agent attack?
How does a blood agent attack work?
Affects the oxygen transfer in the blood stream
What are some symptoms of blister agents?
- red skin
- heavy breathing
- increase pulse
- deep burns (blood blisters)
- blindness if not removed within 1 min from eyes using water
What is the mode of action for blister agents?
What matter form are blister agents associated with?
What is the required defensive gear against a blister agent attack?
Protective mask and clothing
What is the primary use of a blister agent?
Used to cause medical casualties but can be lethal when large amounts are inhaled
What is the CBR shape for a blister agent?
Square with red explanation mark
How long can a blister agent attack last?
days to weeks
What do blister agents smell like?
garlic or horseradish
What is highly reactive with metals causing fumes?
Are blister agents casualty producing?
Are choking agents casualty producing?
What are some symptoms of choking agents?
- Pink sputum
- difficulty breathing
- increased pulse and breathing
- pulmonary edema
Is there a treatment "onboard" for choking agents?
Are Choking agents designed to kill?
No, but can with a heavy dose
Are incompasitating agents lethal?
What do incompasitating agents do?
- produces temporary misery
- lowers moral or cause troops to become combat ineffective
What are some examples of incompasitating agents?
How can incompasitating agents be disseminated?
- special forces
What color a series does M-8 paper detect?
- Green = V series nerve
- Yellow = G series Nerve
- Red = H series blister
What two agents does the M-8 paper detect?
Nerve and Blister agents
How do you use the M-8 paper?
Dip paper into liquid, wait for color change
How is M-9 paper used?
Post near ventillation, aerosol detection
What happens to M-9 paper when it detects an agent?
red blotchy spots appear
Can M-9 paper differentiate between agents?
What agents can M-9 paper detect?
How does M256A-1 detect agents?
In vapor form
Can M256A-1 differentiate between agents?
What does M256A-1 come with?
What agents does the M256A-1 detect?
What does IPDS stand for?
Improved point detection system
What does the IPDS do?
Samples air surrounding the ship for CBR agents
What are the two types of biological agents?
What are infectious agents?
Living organisms with the capability to cause disease
What are toxins?
Non-living substances produced by living organism but has chemical properties
What agent is uncontrollable and unpredictable?
How much more deadly are Biological agents compared to chemical agents?
100 times more deadly
What are the 6 categories for Biological agents?
Due to research, what are the only two categories that are known potential for Biological warefare agents? (BWA)
Viruses are the ____ militarily significant of the infectious agents
What are some examples of biological viruses?
- Monkey Pox
- Rift Valley Virus
- Yellow fever
- Small Pox
How small are viruses?
- Single Celled parasites
- Requires a living host
- Extremely small (.3 -.5 microns)
What are some examples of Rickettsiae?
- Rocky mountain spotted fever
When were prions identified?
What are prions composed of?
What are prions resistant to?
What are symptoms of Prion attacks?
- loss of motor skills
What are some examples of Prion attacks?
- Mad Cow Disease
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease
- Gerstmann-Strussler-Schienkey Syndrome (GSS)
What is fungi primarily used for?
to destroy crops
What are some examples of fungi?
What is fungi responsible for
- wheat rust
- potato blight
- corn smut
- single cell organisms
- larger than bacteria
What are some examples of protozoa?
Protozoa are the ____ militarily significant of infectious agents
What do you DON during a CBR attack?
- M50 mask
- JSLIST and CBR IPE
What does JSLIST stand for?
Joint service light weight integrated suit technology
What are shipboard protective measures against a CBR attack?
- Set Circle William
- Counter Measure Washdown System (CMWD)
What do you do after a CBR attack?
- Decontaminate personnel (showers)
- Decom the ship with HTH primary, soap and water secondary
- Decom food
- Decom water
- Quarantine potentially exposed personnel
What is used in the MCU-2P C-2 Filter Canister?
How are the C-2 filter canisters degraded?
By water or blood agents
How long are C-2 filters good for?
- 60 days in fresh air
- 30 days in CW environment
How many canisters do you get per mask?
3 (1 trainer)
What is the shelf life of the JSLIST?
5 years unopened in original pack
What is the wear time for JSLIST in a non CBR environment?
45 days of use
How long can you wear the JSLIST in a constant CW environment?
What does RSDL stand for?
Reactive skin decontamination lotion (SDK)
How much square inches does RSDL cover at minimum?
200 square inches
What are the two post exposure auto injectors?
- Atropine Sulfate
- Pralidoxime Chloride (2 pam Cl)
How many auto injectors and what is their mg for Atropine Sulfate?
3 auto injectors 2mg each
How many auto injectors and what is their mg for 2 pam Cl?
3 auto injectors 300mg each
Are the auto injectors self aid?
In what order do you self admister the auto injectors for post exposure?
How long does it take to be clear of symptoms after using auto injectors?
10-15 minutes, then seek buddy aid
What do you do if you find a buddy down during a CBR attack?
- Adminster all auto injectors
- 3 atropine
- 3 2 Pam Cl
- or all that remain
- seek medical help
What is MOPP-0
- No CBR Threat
- Gas Mask issued out and put in storage
What is MOPP-1
- Threat Suspected
- IPE, 2 unopened filter canisters readily available
- Inventory stowed CB defense equipment and supplies
- Set material condition yoke if not already set
What is MOPP-2
- Threat possible
- protective mask in carried and worn on person
- Pre-position decom supplies in decon stations and at repair locked
- Set material condition zebra
- Activate and monitor CD detection and sampling equipment
- Post M-8 and M-9 detector paper
Can M-8 and M-9 paper detect biological agents?
What is MOPP 3
- Threat Probable
- Set General Quarters
- Set material condition zebra
- Non-essential personnel move inside the skin of the ship
- Install filter on mask
- Don JSLIST with hood down
- Issue SDK to designated personnel
- Activate decom stations and CCAs
- Post and monitor detection equipment and materials
- Activate CMWD system intermittently
What is MOPP-4
- Threat imminent
- Don mask and secure hood
- Set circle william
- Activate CMWD continuously
What percentage of biological and chemical agents are removed from the ship during CMWD?
up to 95%
What is the purpose of the decontamination station?
- Provides a predetermined entrance into uncontaminated interior of the ship
- provides a means for personnel decontamination
- prevents the spread of contamination throughout the ship
What is Calcium Hypochlorite? Ca(CIO)2
- The standard shipboard decontamination for checmical and biological agents
- Also known as HTH. High test Hypochlorite
What does HTH stand for?
High Test Hypochlorite
What does GDA stand for?
Gross decon area
What is the purpose of the CCA/OCUA?
Removal of protective clothing
What is position 1 during decontamination?
What is position 2 during decontamination?
Trousers and overboots
What is position 3 during decontamination?
Gloves/ exit to decon station
What is position 4 during decontamination?
Removal of inner clothing (medical will cut pull over shirts)
What is position 5 during decontamination?
What is position 6 during decontamination?
- Doffing of mask if all clear
- Check my medical personnel
- issue clothing
What does OCUA stand for?
Outer clothing undressing area
What does ICUA stand for?
Inner clothing undressing area
What does SA stand for?
When do you use CMWD?
Before, during, and 15 min after
What are the 5 types of radiation?
What is the weakest form of radiation?
Can alpha penetrate paper?
What is the strongest form of radiation?
What does DFU stand for?
Dry filter unit
What does the DFU 1000 do?
Continuously samples by collecting/trapping airborne particles onto a filter for analysis
How is the DFU powered?
What are the three defined levels of biological agent identification?
Does the TR have confirmatory laboratory capabilities?
What is the purpose of the chemical survey?
To detect, locate and Identify chemical agents in either liquid or vapor
What are the 5 types of surveys?
- Periodic monitoring
- On-station monitoring
- rapid internal survey
- rapid external survey
- gross external survey
When is periodic monitoring conducted?
Used for detecting the arrival of checmical agents in liquid form
When is on-station monitoring conducted?
performed in selected spaces during the attack to determine if there is a vapor hazard inside the ship
When is a rapid internal survey conducted?
After a suspected chemical attack to determine if there is a vapor hazard in selected vital spaces
When is a rapid external survey conducted?
As soon as possible after an attack with liquid agent to determine if there is liquid contamination at vital topside stations
When is a gross external survey conducted?
As time permits to mark the boundariers of contaminated areas
What is the NATO marker for chemical agents?
- Marker with yellow on both sides
- Front side says "GAS" in red
- Back side write "date and time" agent was detected and type of agent
What is the NATO marker for bilogical agents?
- Marker with blue on both sides
- Front side says "BIO" in red
- Back side write "date and time" agent was detected and type of agent
What is the NATO marker for Nuclear?
- Marker with white on both sides
- Front side says "ATOM" in black
- Back side write "dose rate, date and time of reading, and time of burst if known"