Describe four ways to prevent pesticides surplus.
- Be sure pesticide is registered for intended use before purchase.
- Buy only what is needed.
- Avoid mixing until job amount is estimated.
- Mix only enough for the job.
Describe four steps to follow when rinsing pesticide containers.
- Allow the concentrate to drain from the empty pesticide container for 30 seconds.
- Fill approximately 20% of the container volume with water, replace the lid, and shake container so that all the interior surfaces are rinsed.
- Drain the rinse water into the spray tank, allowing to drain for at least 30 seconds.
- Repeat the procedure two more times.
Name three approved methods for disposing of empty pesticide containers.
- Dispose of in a sanitary landfill.
- Return to the chemical company to reuse.
- Recycle properly.
List four factors to consider in selecting a pesticide storage site.
- Not in a flood plain area.
- Downwind or downhill from sensitive areas.
- No chance of surface or underground water contamination.
List five requirements of a good pesticide storage area.
- Cool, dry, well ventilated.
- Well drained to collect runoff water.
- Detergent, cleaner, and water available.
- Absorbents available.
- Neutralizers available.
- Clean up tools available.
- Fire extinguisher present.
List five factors to consider when arranging pesticide containers within the pesticide storage area.
- Use only for pesticides.
- Avoid hot places.
- Designate special areas for each pesticide type.
- Keep labels in view.
- Store off floor.
- Store rigid containers upright.
- Store in neat rows with walkways.
List three safety procedures to follow to protect yourself and others from pesticide spills.
- Do not allow children, pets, or uninformed persons in the storage area.
- Use protective clothing if label requires.
- Do not handle containers roughly.
- Check containers for leaks.
List five procedures to follow when minor pesticide spills occur.
- Keep people away from area.
- Get first aid if someone is contaminated.
- Use an absorbent material to soak up spill.
- Shovel material into leakproof container.
- Dispose of as you would excess pesticide.
- Do not hose down area.
- Neutralize chemical action using bleach or lye.
List five procedures to follow when major pesticide spills occur.
- Isolate spill area.
- Confine spill.
- Call manufacturer for help.
- Call pesticide Safety Team Network.
- Notify authorities (state, county, city).